11. The Pain

Today was weird.

The three teenagers sitting at the lunch table weren't acting their usual selves. Heidi was acting more affectionate. She was constantly pecking my lips and cheeks and playing with my hair. She was also glancing at Reese a lot. Smirking at her too.

Reese was the one who was acting more strange than anyone at this table. Her elbows were on the table and her hands were running through her silky brown hair. She would look down every time Heidi's eyes met hers. The only person Rick's eyes we're on was his sisters. His eyes were filled with sadness and guilt. I hope he knows it's not his fault.

I couldn't take anymore of this tension. "Okay, that's it." I pulled away from Heidi's embrace while she furrowed her eyebrow at me.

"Why isn't anyone happy today? I mean, I know it's school and everyone hates school but people don't act like this," I complained while sipping on my apple juice. Rick put a hand on Reese's shoulder. "Yeah Reese, why aren't you happy?" He asked.

I glanced at Heidi who kept that smirk on her face and suddenly everything started to make sense.

It was that same smirk she had while having that conversation with Reese. What if that conversation had something to do with why Heidi is looking at her and why Reese is so grumpy?

I was about to question it but I stopped myself when Reese got up and started walking off. "Reese!" Rick shouted but gave up and sighed.

"She's been acting like that ever since Saturday evening. She wouldn't even talk to me on Sunday. Never even bothered coming down for breakfast, lunch or dinner," My eyes went to Heidi, who was playing with her food.

"I'm going after her," I told them. I stood up and was ready to leave until I found a hand gripping my wrist. "Why does everyone run after each other when someone's upset? Let her go. She needs to be alone," convinced Heidi. I sat back down and stared at Heidi during the rest of our lunch time.

Maybe their conversation wasn't even a conversation. It could've been an argument.

An argument is never good.

<><><><><

"Nova, wait up! You know I can't walk in heels, dammit!" called out Heidi. I sighed and turned around to face her.

"I need to talk to you," She breathed heavily. I didn't respond and she rolled her eyes. "Are you still mad because of what happened at lunch?" Nodding at her, I turn around and unlock my car; But I was interrupted when she grabbed my shoulder and turned me around. Her hot breath was on my neck and I could feel myself feeling nervous. "She needed to be alone. You aren't each other's hero, you know that right?" I nodded once more and she grinned. "Good because I'm your hero." I scoffed and pushed her off.

"My hero? Please remember that we're fake dating just so Reese doesn't get hurt," I snapped. She glared, "If you didn't want her hurt then why were you even on that website anyways?" I kept my mouth shut after that and let her continue on with her threatening words. "Yeah, that's right. You were unsure of her. Well imagine her knowing that; That you were unsure of her so you tried looking her up and planned on exposing her to your best friend. Imagine how she would feel." She told me.

"How do you know that I was going to expose her?" She had uncertainty in her face and that was when I snapped. I slammed my car door shut. "What so your stalking me now?! Get this into your head, Heidi. This thing between me and you is fake, okay? Even if I am feeling all of these emotions when I'm with you, I'm not lesbian or bi or any other sexuality. I'm straight and I will always be. So leave me the hell alone, okay? I'm just not in the mood anymore." I reopened my car door and slipped into it. Suddenly, I was pulled out.