19. The Watch

My eyes shot open and my whole body was pulled up. I put a hand over my heart, which was beating rapidly.

My ringtone which was the song Diva by Beyonce started going off and I groaned while picking up the phone and looking at the contact.

Rickybear 😜

Why the hell would Rick be calling at 3:00 am?

"Hello?" I answered groggily as I laid my head back down on the pillow.

"Nova, thank God you answered!" Rick said with such relief.

"Can you explain why I am being called at 3 in the morning?" I mumbled in annoyance.

"Reese is missing again. She didn't come home last night-Oh there she is!" He told me.

I could hear a bit of yelling on the other line.

Profanity was being thrown at one another. It sounded brutal.

I don't think Reese and Rick ever fought like that. They don't even hang out anymore.

"Rick?" I called out.

"Sorry," He answered. "She's been acting like such a...ugh! I don't even know! She's just different now."

"Yeah, I know," I agreed.

It was silent on the phone for a few minutes and I could tell by the shuffling that Rick was thinking.

He always started to move things while thinking. I wish I knew why.

"I need you to do me a favor," He finally answered.

"Depends on what it is," I was now off the bed and walking around my room in the dark.

"Reese is most likely going to do this again and Mom and Dad won't notice but Evelyn and I will-"

"What does that have to do with me?" I interrupted.

"If you would just let me finish, that'd be great," He snapped. What a grumpy pants. "Anyways, I need you start watching her; See what she does and who she's with. I would but I'm terribly busy."

I groaned loudly. "What?! You think I don't have a life too, Rick? You already know what I have to be with Heidi more and now this?"

"I know and I'm sorry. But Reese could be in trouble and I trust you. So please!" He pleaded. His voice sounded sad and worried.

He really worried for his sister.

"Okay fine," I said. He cheered which made me smile.

"Thank you, Nova. I owe you one," He thanked me. Damn right he did. "Get some sleep. You need it."

"Goodnight, Rick."

"Night, Nova."

After I hung up, I was going to go back to sleep but I felt my stomach grumble.

Time for some cookies!

<><><><><

It's been a few days since Reese came back and winter break was coming to an end soon.

"Hey babe," Heidi greeted, who popped out of no where.

"Heid, what are you doing here?" I asked, kinda confused.

I immediately closed my laptop.

I was looking at pictures of the ball that I asked Rick to send me.

What I was trying to do was look for me and the mystery girl I was dancing with at the ball to try to get a glimpse at her appearance.

But now I can't do that.