27. The Need

It was quiet. People were sitting at the edge of their desks, waiting for the sound that ended their time in this hellhole. I was sitting at the edge of my seat as well. Only because I wanted to catch up with Rick and talk to him about how Reese was settling. 

The bell rung and everyone screamed and cheered in excitement as they ran out of the classroom and headed off to enjoy their spring break. I caught up with Rick who was walking with a girl. It looked like the same girl from the ball. 

"Hey Rick," I greeted him and then examined the girl. She had black hair, very dark heavy lipstick and wore lots of leather. She could come off as mean but her genuine smile told me otherwise. 

"Hey! Nova, I want you to meet Alex," I waved at her and she waved back. This was very different. Rick was the obsessive neat guy who always focused on school and was basically what you would call a geek. But the cute ones. Alex looked like the girl who did extreme things and was a total daredevil. They're like opposites. 

Opposites do attract so maybe this might be something real.

"I've heard a lot about you, Nova. Well besides the fact that you're dating Reese Ellington but-" I cut her off once she said in that sentence. Rick stopped dead in his tracks and looked at his girlfriend who obviously didn't know what she was talking about. 

"I'm sorry, who?" He asked, looking really confused. 

"I'm not dating Reese. Who in the hell told you that?" I asked with a quirked eyebrow. 

She took out of her phone and shoved it in my face. "It's all over social media Look here!" My eyes met with a picture of me having Reese into an embrace and kissing her forehead. People must've took it as romance but really it was just comfort. 

"So you guys are dating?" Rick asked me and I scoffed at him. 

"No. I would never-" I stopped when imagining Heidi looking at those pictures and seeing the heartbreak in her chocolate eyes. "Oh no, this is so bad!" I cried out. 

Rick furrowed his eyebrows in concern. "What's wrong?" 

I nervously play with my braid. "Heidi is definitely going to see the pictures and now she really wont take me back. This is so so bad!" 

"Dude, after what you did? Even if these pictures weren't on the internet, she still wouldn't take you back." Alex told me which had me glaring at her. She put her hands up in defense. 

"How are these so popular anyways? I mean I know both of our parents are pretty rich and popular but they aren't famous, only known."

She looked anywhere but my eyes and seemed uncertain. "The footage of you kissing Reese leaked. You may not be famous but the Ball that the Ellington family held is famous and now that our school knows that you didn't kiss Heidi, they now think it was Reese."

Rick's jaw dropped and so did mine. I couldn't believe this was happening right now. I was currently avoiding Reese so she didn't have to ask me about how I knew Frankie Crook but I had to talk to her so we could clear this up. 

"I have...to go," I turned around and made my way out of the school. I knew Reese came to school today since I did see her in first period.  I rushed to the parking lot which was crowded with kids trying to get in their cars but I saw a red Honda and I knew it was Reese's car. She was still here.

The only place she would go to after school is the soccer field so I pushed past the crowd and rushed towards our big soccer field. When I arrived, there she was alone on the field, kicking a soccer ball with her bad foot that didn't have a cast anymore.