29. The Heart

I walked down the stairs, past the cleaners and the cooks that I barely acknowledge and met my with my father in the kitchen who was wearing his reading glasses and reading the newspaper.

"Daddy," I croaked out. He looked up and when he saw me, his piercing blue eyes that resembled mine softened.

He took off his glasses and put his newspaper down. He opened his arms out. "Come here," I practically ran into my Dad's hug. I loved hugging him.

"I'm so so confused right now," I murmured as I place my face into the crook of his neck. I felt him run his hands into my hair.

"Tell me what's wrong."

I sighed and pulled away from my fathers embrace and sat on the stool that was next to him. I ended up telling him about what's been going with Reese and how she's acting different and that we shared a kiss.

"Wait hold up! What did Heidi say to her?" He asked me.

"To stay away from me and she accused her of having a crush on me," I answered while the vivid memories entered my head. I remember exactly how she said it. " She also told her to go back to where she came from."

"She told me to stop talking to you because she thinks that I have a crush on you and I told her that wasn't the case but she didn't listen. She specifically said 'Oh let me tell you about Nova Barnes, Reese. She will break your heart. But she won't break mine. I know that for sure. So do us all a favor and go back to where you came from."

"To go back to where she came from? Ouch. That might've hit a nerve for her," Dad stated as he scrunched up his nose. "Maybe that made her think that she wasn't good enough for anyone which caused her to end her friendship with you."

"She seemed to have so much more fun without me. I mean she was shoving her tongue down that copycat bitch's throat like it was nothing. She had no idea how she made me feel when she stopped talking to me. It was like-"

"Like you lost yourself?" Dad interjected and I quirked my eyebrow at him.

"How did you know I was going to say that?" I asked him while playing with his glasses case.

"I went through the same thing when your mother and I stopped talking. I pushed her away just like Reese did you and I was back to my broken state that I was in before I met her. I almost lost myself until I realized why I pushed her away," He looked down at the table, as if he in deep thought.

"Why did you?"

"Because I was falling in love with her," I gaped at him as he continued, "I thought that if I stopped talking to her, nobody would notice my feelings and that everything would be better for the both of us but really, I made things worse."

I remained quiet as I let myself listen to the words he said over and over again.

"You know what's crazy?"

I looked up and he laughed but it sounded emotionless.

"During all of that, I had no idea that I was in love with her until she confronted me," He stated with a smile. He glanced at me and removed the strands of hair from my face. "Nova, the same thing that happened to me is probably what happened to her and she was probably going to ignore what she was feeling until about it until Heidi confronted her. That might've ended everything between you two."

"But I-"

He grabbed his glasses and newspapers and then kissed my temple. "Follow your heart, pumpkin." Dad left the kitchen and I mentally groaned.

I wish I knew what he meant by that.

<><><><><

"So what are you going to sing?"