21. The Valentine

Hand in hand our arms swung left to right.

I could hear her heart pounding against her chest and her eyes roamed everywhere except into my own eyes.

She was nervous.

"I love valentines day. Especially when I get to spend it with you," She chirped as the bright smile on her face made me feel warm.

As I was just about to respond she beat me to it, "I love you."

I stopped walking and turned around to face her. Her face looked determined; as if she didn't care what I was going to say and that she was going to love me either way.

So I said the only words that wouldn't ruin the moment.

"I...love you too," I answered and her cheeks turned into a crimson red as her head hung low.

She was happy that I finally answered her and I was happy to see her happy.
But for some reason, I couldn't return the smile. My face could only hold a frown and as much as I tried, a smile could never form.

"I'm so glad you said that," She sighed in relief as a hand went over her chest. "I was wondering if you were ready to say back."

I nodded and we stopped to sit down on a park bench. Our hands were still entwined and I smiled as she went on about everything that has happened.

But the thing that was on my mind at this particular moment was...everything. From the first day of school to today and how so much has changed.

Just a few months ago, Heidi basically despised me and now here we are as a couple. I was so determined to expose Reese to her true self but truth is that I have no idea who she is and it really isn't any of my business.

Rick was supposed to be my sassy best friend who never said sorry to anyone and never wanted to be in a relationship. He's become for supportive and friendlier. I mean, he even said sorry! Rick never says sorry. He's even seeing someone now.

As for me, well my chirpy self is still somewhere around but so much chaos has happened and I don't have time for it and turns out I'm not even into guys. Yay.

"You always zone out."

I left my thoughts and looked back at Heidi, who was grinning at me.

"Yeah, I guess I do," I replied as I hung my head low.

"Nova, since it's valentines day, I want to say something," Heidi announced while nervously fiddling with her fingers. "When I saw you again at the park, I knew I was going to end up falling for you again. You always know how to brighten my world and I missed this; missed us. I just-- love you."

My eyes met with hers and I could feel tears blurring my vision. I was supposed to be smiling and hugging her and telling her how much I loved her back.

But I didn't.

Instead, my lips were trembling in fear and guilt.

So much guilt.

"What's wrong? Aw, tears of joy?" She cooed which had me sobbing. Her smile turned into frown when realizing. "Oh my, what's wrong?"

"H-Heidi, I have to tell you something," I croaked. Her hand entwined with mine once more. "Okay, tell me."

Na na na Diva is a female version of a-

I inhaled deeply before grabbing my phone and answering it without looking at the contact.

"Hello?"

"Nova, you need to get here," A voice which sounded a lot like Rick's was screaming into my ear. I wiped my stained cheeks and then remembered what happened the last time I talked to Rick.