35. The Decision

Rick looked up at me and watched me which was actually creeping me out.

Until his eyes widened and he shrieked. What did I do to deserve a weird ass twin brother like him?

"Don't you get it?" I raised a brow, showing that I clearly didn't get it. He sighed and continued. "Nova was protecting you!"

Okay hold up, what the hell? "Protecting me? She kept this whole secret and wasn't ever going to tell me. How is that protecting me?"

"Would you have rather her tell the whole school about what happened?" He asked and I remained quiet for a second.

Would I? Of course not! I don't think I could ever walk the halls of West Grove with everyone on my back about me hooking up with my own soccer coach.

"Exactly," He finished for me. "Yeah at first she probably didn't say anything so I wouldn't know that she didn't like you at first but I bet you while you guys were hanging out, she started protecting this secret for you. If Nova opened her mouth, everyone in this town would hate the Ellingtons. Ellicorp would probably go out of business and that all would come towards you. Just realize that she may have betrayed you but she also saved you. Saved us." Rick explained as he grabbed my hand.

He made a good point. She definitely helped us but it still hurts. I still feel betrayed and humiliated. I'm still so damn angry at the fact that she was suspicious about me. But should I really blame her?

Should I forgive and forget?

"I don't know Rick. I feel so hurt by all of this. It hurts seeing her, talking to her, being so close to her, and worst of all, being in love with her. It hurts so fucking much," I croaked as tears blurred my vision. I was tired of the crying.

I just wanted it all to end.

"I know but I'm sure she'll find some way to make it up to you," He reassured me by putting an arm around my shoulders.

I looked up at him and had a hopeful smile on my face. "So does this mean you're not mad at me?" I batted my eyelashes which had him laughing.

"You know I can't be mad at you forever," He answered. "So what're you thinking? Are you going to forgive Nova?"

"That's the thing, I don't know if I can. What if she's keeping some other secret that could ruin my life?"

"So trust is the problem. You don't trust her?"

I shook my head, feeling guilty about this. "I want to but I can't–"

"–And that's okay," Rick finished for me. "It's all about trust. Take your time, Reese."

I smiled and we laid there, talking about whatever we could the whole night.

<><><><><><

I walked towards Alex who was sitting at a little stand for Talent Show tickets. I handed her my three dollars which she grinned at.

"Hey, I hope you don't mind but Rick told me what happened with you and Nova. How are you feeling?" She nervously asked.

I smiled to reassure her that it was okay. "Everything is slow and it hurts but I'm getting through the days just fine."

"Good. I can't believe she did that though. I really thought Nova was better than that, you know?" I nodded in agreement.

"Yeah," I sighed and answered her. "Me too." I waved goodbye to her and walked towards the soccer field.

The day was just fine. I avoided Nova in Calculus and practically the whole day. Nova usually sat with us at Lunch but ever since the truth came out, she was no where to be seen during lunch. Well not like I was looking or anything.