28. The Elevator

I groaned as the song Diva would not stop playing on my phone. Damn me for making that song my ringtone. Picking it up, I answered the phone in irritation.

"Hello?!" I practically screamed through the phone. Moaning was heard on the other line which had me scarred. What the hell was going on?

"Ugh my ear. You sure know how to scream, Nov." The familiar voice was heard and I sighed in relief to know that my idiot best friend wasn't doing anything...dirty.

"What's going on, Rick?"

He sighed before answering me, "Okay so I know you plan on staying home for spring break but I heard that there's a school field trip to ElliCorp tomorrow and I thought that maybe you, me and Reese could go!" He cheered through the phone and clearly he was the only one happy with what he suggested.

"No thank you," I told him. It would be lame as hell. The many times I've walked into ElliCorp. I remember the first time was when I was 14 and I had just met Rick who wasn't exactly muscular and just plain lanky. Then knowing that Reese was going to be there made my tummy feel weird but that was probably just fear. She did push me to the ground and when I looked into her hazel eyes that day, I could feel the anger and disbelief she had on me.

"Come on, I know you've been there so many times but we won't even have to go along with the tour. Us three could just chill like we used to do back in the beginning of the year.

Ah when things were simple and Reese and I's friendship felt right to me. I remember those times when we would lay on the grass and we would try to find each other's biggest secret. Oh and she would call me braids. She never called me it enough to make it my official nickname but I will always remember the day she called me that.

The corner of my lips felt as if they were being tugged and a smile formed on my face. Memories.

"Are you going to answer or what?"

Pulling away from my thoughts, I sighed and said, "Fine. But I better be leaving the place with a smile on my face." After that, I had to listen to Rick screaming to Reese about how I agreed and then they both started yelling through the phone which had me in fits of laughter.

<><><><><

It was the day of the trip and Rick stood next to me as we were entering the bus. He seemed extremely happy to be going to a place he's been to so many times. His parents do own the place so I wondered why we were taking a bus when we could've just rode with Mr. And Mrs. Ellington. Reese was behind us and the Reese I knew would smile and be as excited as Rick but her face held a blank expression and I kind of understood why. She has been through a lot lately with finding out the person she supposedly 'loved' purposely ran her over with a car and had to see her smug face before being taken away and then having to keep this secret about how she fell in love with that bitch.

I want to comfort her and tell her that everything is okay now but how can I even do that? I'm practically lying to her and her finding out that I knew about her this whole time would make things extremely difficult for the both of us.

Reese ended up sitting with Georgie, a girl that was in my English class and they were chatting it up. I sat with Rick who's currently texting and smiling at the same time so I'm assuming he's texting Alex. It's nice seeing my best friend act all different because of a girl.

I turned around and watched as Georgie was getting all touchy with Reese. Reese's expression was the same as before she was even on the bus. She didn't look like she liked what Georgie was doing and she didn't look disgusted, she only had the neutral blank expression.