23. The Necklace

(Important A/N at the end.)

"Ready to go back to your classes?" asked Rick who was too focused on texting his about-to-be girlfriend. Instead of answering, I examined his features. His brown hair was in all sorts of places and his cocoa brown eyes seemed like they were getting bigger while glued to the screen of his cell phone.

After leaving that examination, I could feel the grin forming my lips. "Yeah. That suspension felt so boring and long."

When entering the school, there was a whole crowd of students that gathered around the flat screen TV. They all looked happy and ecstatic about whatever was going on.

The principal came shoving through the school of cranky and excited teenagers. "Okay! So what I'm about to turn on is the famous Masquerade Ball that was hosted by the Ellingtons. I have received many requests for this and here you all go. Now leave me alone about it." A few people chuckled as he left the crowd.

"This might be interesting," Rick finally spoke. His attention was now on the television and so was mine.

When it finally played, hushed voices were heard and eyes were stuck on the screen. People seemed so fascinated by balls and parties while I just loved to stay at home and eat a whole box of pizza.

How sad.

While everyone was watching, I looked around and saw Heidi walking up to the television with a bright smile on her face. I loved when she was happy. It made me happy too.

The video was showing pictures and footage of people dancing and kissing. Examining people's faces, most people were in awe with how much fun it was to be there; i was smiling too.

"Look there's Heidi and Nova!" Someone shouted out. People started whispering again and Heidi grinned when her eyes locked with mine.

I turned back to the screen and both and Rick and I's smiles vanished when we saw what was in front of us. That was not Heidi. In fact, it was the girl who gave that wonderful kiss.

At that moment, it felt like everything was in slow motion. The smiles on people's faces disappeared and were replaced with bulged eyes and lips parted. Rick turned to look at me and he frowned.

No more hushed voices. Just complete silence.

When I turned back to face Heidi, my heart broke.

She was shaking and her hand was on her chest, as if she was just kicked to the chest. I opened my mouth to say something but I couldn't and from that, I could tell she was affected about what I just did. Her hand went over her mouth to stop herself from letting out a sob.

Then she shoved past students and left me standing there like an idiot. I was just about to run after her until I saw what I've been looking for.

On the screen was a girl with the same dress as the girl I kissed that night. She was running and stopped for breath and then she took off her mask.

I met with Hazel eyes and I could feel my throat close up.

I may have not figured out who's hazel eyes those belong to at the ball but when I saw them, I recognized those eyes from anywhere.

Her hazel eyes had this brown little dot that was located right next to the pupil.

Rick gasped as he watched his twin sister on the screen. He looked completely and utterly horrified.

I watched as people were looking at a certain direction and when I looked with them, I saw her.

Reese Ellington, the girl who I kissed at the ball was standing there, eyes widened as well. Her whole face beamed red and her hazel eyes were only on me. She clung onto her bag tighter and had a look of guilt.