26. The Suspect

Family Day was a day that rarely happened in the Barnes family.  We did it once a year and it was awesome because we'd have so much fun. We weren't those rich families who never spent any time together but we were close. Extremely close. 

Mom and Dad may not be home all the time but I know they miss up dearly when they're at work or business trips. As for me and my sister, well we love them too and we also have each other to keep company. 

"Oh come on! It isn't that hard," Dad practically screamed at us while trying to keep his balance. 

"An elephant!" I guessed which resulted in us both screaming in excitement! He grabbed me and picked me up as he jumped up and down. I look at Mom and Venus who were sitting there in defeat. In your face losers!

 Mom scoffed, "We could've totally won. But since you're such a loser, we decided to let you win." Dad rolled his eyes and shoved an L to her face. 

"Whatever Major Loser." I could feel myself cringing at those words. The last time anyone has said that was 2009. After that horrible game of charades, we ended up watching movies and binge on anything in the fridge. 

It's why I loved my family because my parents don't act like my parents. They act like my friends and do not act their age whatsoever. It made me curious to why they acted so cool and laid back. Man, I bet people wished to be me!

Okay maybe not. 

"Man, I hate Allie's father. He's such an asshole."

"I agree. Noah and Allie belong together!"

I rolled my eyes and watched how my family was crying over a movie that came out over a decade ago. "Guys, can we watch something that we haven't watched before?" Nobody responded which resulted in me dying of boredom.

When the movie ended, we ended up looking through an old box of baby pictures and diaries. Venus, Mom and Dad were cooing over a picture of Venus while I searched through the box. I was just about to give up until I found a red book.

'Our Journey'

"Guys, what is this?" When Mom looked up, she gasped and put a hand over her mouth.

Dad stood up and walked towards me and the book. "It's a picture book of your Mother and I's journey together. It's filled with a lot of happy memories but also some sad ones."

"He gave it to me before he went off to college," Mom replied, wiping tears from her eyes and then locking eyes with my father. "He told me to hang on to it for him. So when he comes back, he could finish up the book."

I looked at the book in awe. My parents sounded like soulmates and I think they might be. Opening the book, the first picture my eyes met with were a young lady with brown locks. She looked like she was at a festival with her friends and they were all laughing but she shined the most in the picture. Her smile was gorgeous.

I still see that smile sometimes.

"Mom, is that you?" Venus gaped at the picture.

Mom grinned, "Yes. It was when your father first saw me and–"

"–and I was speechless," interjected Dad as he put an arm around Mom. "She definitely caught my eye. I swear my whole world was grey at the time but she was the only one that had color."

We talked about everything about their past while flipping the pages.

"You guys robbed a store?!"

Dad scratched the back of his head, "Well your Mother here was so uptight and too comfortable in her bubble. So I told her to take risks and we went and did it."