16. The Holidays

"Merry Christmas!"

Our drinks clanked together and we drunk all the champagne from the glass.

I didn't care if my parents were sitting right next to me.

Nor did I care that I had to impress Heidi's family even though they've known me before I could even walk.

I grabbed the champagne and downed the whole thing in front of them.

I could hear their gasps. Once I finished, I got up from the table and walked towards the hallway that the bathroom was in.

I stood out there and slammed my back against the wall.

I didn't want to be at some fancy Christmas party with Heidi's family and my family.

I wanted to do what I did every year. Be with the Ellington's with my family while we bake Christmas cookies and listen to old Christmas songs.

This year it could've been Reese with us.

Two months it's been. Since I talked to her.

Ever since that day she told me we should stop communicating, I haven't been able to keep myself happy.

It just hurt me for some reason.

I think it's because I'm not used to losing friends.

"Nova?" A voice called out. The figure was coming closer until I saw my little sister.

"Venus, what's up?"

"What was that? You just humiliated yourself," She told me. Yeah well no shit.

"I know," I rubbed my temples. "I needed it."

"Heidi's furious. What's with you guys? Are you like...a thing?" She hesitantly asked. I nodded, not bothering to give her a better answer.
She looked uncertain before asking, "Are you going to tell Mom and Dad?"

"Not now. I don't even know if they're going to be happy but right now, it's the least of my worries," I explained.

She stood beside me looking at me with such confusion in her eyes.

"You're sad because something's bothering you," said Venus. I gaped at her in shock and in fear too.

"How the hell-"

"Its a sister thing,"

"Why are you sad?" She asked me with concern in her eyes. I sighed before telling her everything including Reese cutting me off, the Halloween party and how I'm feeling now.

"-and I can't help but think about how much of an idiot I am. How I could just act so...however I was feeling that night. That's pretty much it." She looked at me in surprise.

"I think you need to get out of here," I snapped my head towards her direction. "What?" I asked. "You need to go talk to her. Heidi has agreed to try to trust her, correct?" I nodded quickly.

"Then get the hell out and go talk to Reese. I'll tell Heidi and the rents you went for a walk." I pulled her into a hug. "Thank you so much,"

Once I pulled away, I walked through one of the bedrooms and opened up the window.

Here I go with the windows again.

It wasn't going to be hard this time since I was on the first floor.

When I jumped out of the window, I looked around before running to the Ellington residence which was only a few houses away.

I was just about to pass Buttonwood Park until I saw Reese.