18. The Hiding

The ceiling was the only thing I could stare at without feeling so much guilt.
At this particular moment, the white boring looking ceiling made me relaxed.

But it was still there.

The thought of me kissing someone who wasn't Heidi was nailed into my brain.

I shut my eyes and sighed deeply.

What is wrong with me?

"Nova fucking Barnes! It's December 31st and you are still in bed!" Rick shouted from outside my bedroom door. I groaned and shoved the pillow on my face.

I did not need this right now.

The door flew open and I heard footsteps coming closer and closer.

That's when I was completely soaked and gasping for air. I wiped the water off my face and glared at Rick.

He smirked at me, holding the stupid bucket in his hand.

"What is with you and splashing water on people in their sleep?" He shrugged and pulled the soaked covers off of me.

"I have news for you," I sighed and fell back down to my bed. "The Talent Show is coming up in April and I signed you up." He announced. I snapped my eyes open and stared at him as if I saw an alien.

"Now before you go-"

"Are you insane?! I thought we talked about not setting me up for things without my consent? In fact, we had a whole argument on it!" I snapped. He rolled his eyes which had me fuming. "Calm down, will you? Listen, I know how you feel about singing and there are going to be people from labels there for people interested in music. Labels! This is your chance, Nova."

People from Labels?

I like the sound of that.

"It sounds good but there's one problem. I have zero confidence. I'm struggling with my stage fright and I don't even have any songs in mind," I told him. He chuckled at me. "We'll gain some confidence, get rid of the stage fright and find a song for you. Besides, we have till April and we're about to jump into January."

"Whatever. Shut the door on your way out, will you?" I murmured through my pillow. I could hear his groan before ripping the pillow off of my face. "Alright, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," I lied.

"I'm going to ask you again. If you lie to me again-"

"I kissed someone who wasn't Heidi at the ball." I blurted out. He gawked before sitting down on my bed.

"What?" He asked, looking dumbfounded.

"You heard me,"

"Who?" He asked, rubbing his chin. I shrugged at him and he gasped then stood up from my bed and away from me.

"Nova, do you realize what you have done? You cheated!" He stated the obvious. "No need to remind me," I snapped then face palmed myself. "I didn't know who was behind the mask."

"Dude, this isn't Cinderella. You could tell who is who under a mask," He told me. He did make a good point.

"Well I didn't okay. I was too focused on how I was feeling. You don't know how it was,"

"Yeah, I do. I was dancing with someone t-"

I cut him off. "No, I mean hearing your own heart beating. How close you are to someone and how it felt so...right."

"But it wasn't Heidi so how does it feel right?" He asked me. I shrugged, "That's what I've been asking myself ever since."

"Well you have to tell her," He said. My eyes widened at the boy. "No, I can't. She can't ever know about this,"
"Why not?"