31. The Secrets

Reese and I decided to go to the store to get some food so we could have our Monday Movie Night. Rick was supposed to tag along but Alex came over and he's with her doing god knows what.

We went through Isles, grabbing whatever looked good and by the time we were finished, our cart was so full that some items were falling out every time we moved it.

Thank god we had money.

"I'm going to go grab one more thing," Reese told me. I nodded, giving her a small smile as she pecked my cheek and left my presence.

While I was helping the cashier put the groceries into the bags, I heard hushed whispers behind me. Turning around, Reese and Heidi were talking to each other and neither of them were smiling. I sighed, thinking about the last time this happened and how it ruined my friendship with Reese.

I don't think I could go through that again.

"Can you put the rest in the bag, I have to go find my...girlfriend," The cashier nodded and I walked towards them. I was just about to go and stop their conversation until I was close enough to hear it.

"If I had just backed off, you and Nova would have known each other better than you do now," Heidi said and that's when I hid behind a wall that was near them.

Reese folded her arms and kept her eyes to the floor. "True. I accept your apology but you were wrong."

"About?"

"Thinking I had feelings for her when you confronted me that day because I didn't," Reese answered and then looked at the cashier. "Have a nice night, Heidi."

Knowing that was my cue to go, I power walked back to the cashier who had finished putting the stuff in the bag. Shortly after that, Reese was back.

"Hey, I decided not to get it," She told me. Did she even go and find what she wanted? Maybe she called Heidi here! I squinted my eyes at her before nodding and paying the cashier. 

<><><><><

"Still don't know what song to sing?" 

I shook my head at Rick who sighed and stood up with his clipboard. "Okay. As your best friend, I could see that something's bothering you and you need to vent. So go ahead and vent." 

"Rick, I promise you that I'm okay." 

"Why are you lying to me?" He snapped which had me looking up at him in surprise. His facial expression had a mixture of hurt and angry. It almost made me upset because I haven't been myself in a long time. 

Things have changed though and it's for the best. 

He scoffed, "Great so you won't even answer me. I'm going to go find Alex so you have fun sulking in misery." He swiftly turned around and walked towards Alex and some of the other people who were participating in the talent show. 

Now the guilt was going to kill me. I'm having all of these problems and I can't even tell Rick, my own best friend because these secrets will ruin my friendship with the Ellington family. 

I can't let that happen.

As I continued brainstorming songs to sing for the talent show, I spotted Nova in the corner on her phone. I took this as an opportunity to find out if she said anything that might've effected Reese. Getting up, I walked towards Heidi and once she saw me, the redness on her face drained completely. 

"We need to talk," I stated, not bothering to say Hi. 

"I'm kind of busy right now so-" 

"I saw you two at the store," I cut her off. "What were you talking about? God forbid you didn't say anything to ruin our relationship." Heidi immediately stopped what she was doing on her phone and shoved it into her pocket. She then folded her arms.