Chapter 17

Sammy's POV

~ a few days later ~

I got an interesting text this morning from Madison. It even surprised me that she texted me. I mean, I was friends with the guy who cheated on her, and I helped him lie about it.

Madison - I need to talk to you asap. Meet me at the diner at 2.

I didn't reply but she'd know I'd seen it.

It was nearing 12pm now so I headed downstairs to have a chat with Gilinsky.

"Dude, what?! She has to come, I need to see her again, I need to apologise! Okay, okay. Bye." Jack slammed his phone down on the tabletop, sighed and combed his fingers through his hair in irritation.

"Wassup man?" I furrowed my eyebrows and walked over to where he was sat on the breakfast bar.

"Some 'friend' of mine can't get Madison to come to that party I'm going to tonight. I wanted her to go, I needed her to go." He seemed genuinely disappointed that Madison wasn't going and even though I shouldn't, I felt sorry for him. We all make mistakes, some bigger than others and some that we don't realise our mistakes until people find out, but the point is that everyone makes them.

"About that G, Madison texted me like 15 minutes ago asking me to meet up with her and talk. And before you say anything, I don't know what it's about and I don't know why she wants to meet with me." He looked deep in thought and I walked over to get a can of soda from the fridge.

"You need to go."

"I was planning to go anyway, I wanted to know why she chose me to talk to." He rubbed the bridge of his nose, obviously trying to think things through Madison's way.

"Please try and put a good word in for me, I need it right now. I need her. Yes, I did like Maggie and I don't exactly regret what happened but I regret losing Madison." He pleaded.

I nodded and Jack exhaled in relief. He got up from the table and pulled me in for a bro hug.

"Much appreciated Sam," he pulled away and I was about to return upstairs to change until Jack spoke up again. "Oh, and how's Maia?" He winked and instantly my mind raced back to the memories we made together that night.

I shook my head to clear it and went to get ready. "You still like her and I know you want to see her again!" He shouted after me. I could tell without looking back that he'd got a smirk on his face.

*****

It was 2pm and I was already patiently waiting at the local diner. I remembered how many girls I'd brought here for dinner and then slept with them back home. Then, for the second time that day, my mind wandered back to Maia. What effect was this girl having on me? Obviously one no other girl had.

My thoughts were stopped short when I heard the bell ring from above the door signalling another customer had walked in. I looked up and it was Madison.

She looked beyond mad but her tone was calm when she spoke.

"Hi Sam."

"Madison." I nodded as my way of greeting and passed her a menu over the table.

After the waitress had come over and ordered our drinks and we'd waited in uncomfortable silence for them to be delivered, I finally asked her the question that had bugging me since she'd asked me to meet up with her.

"Why did you want to meet up with me?"

She inhaled loudly, "You're one of the closest friends Jack has. I want answers and you're one of the only people I can ask for them."

"How do you know I won't lie?"

"I don't but I figured that since Jack and me are over, you wouldn't have to keep the secrets that he's been keeping any longer."

I thought about it and then asked her, "Well, what do you want to know?"

Immediately I was thrown into a tornado of questions.

"When did Jack meet Maggie?"
"Why wasn't he content with just me?"
"What did I do wrong?"
"Why didn't Jack break what they had off?"
"Didn't I give him enough?"

Most of her questions I couldn't even answer myself. I hadn't had a full-blown conversation with Jack about what he'd done and why because I was pretty sure he didn't even know himself.

Eventually, the questions came to a close when our fries and burgers arrived. And once we'd finished them, she left her money on the table and stood up to leave.

"Bye Sammy." She left before I could say anything in return.

I grabbed my jacket off the back of my chair and pulled my money out of my wallet, placing it on the table with Madison's money.

I headed out of the diner and towards my car when I heard a voice and froze in my tracks. That voice had been driving me crazy for the past week, I could notice it anywhere.

I rotated to the direction where the voice was coming from and there she stood, laughing and smiling.

Maia. However she wasn't alone. And what I saw made me clench my fists and my eyes narrow.