Chapter 45

Gilinsky's POV

I was sat on the sofa, grouching about how Madison still hadn't fully taken me back yet, when I got an urgent text from Taylor.

All it read was 'S.O.S' but then he'd turned on his location. I desperately reached for my keys, knowing damn well that this wasn't a joke. Everyone had been gone for awhile and I never knew who was around anymore. Johnson, Maia and Sammy were no longer in the house and I was growing confused.

I hurriedly got in my car and sped off down the road, following the directions from the navigations. When I arrived on the scene, everything seemed to slow down.

I pulled in and saw Taylor grabbing someone from a truck. I saw Taylor's head snap up and his face wash with relief when he saw me. He had cuts and bruises on display covering his entire body.

I jerked my neck to look and find out who was in the car. I almost dropped to my knees when I saw a lifeless Johnson, pale and unmoving. I almost flat out sprinted but knew my actions could result in one of us being killed.

When the man produced a gun, my heart felt like it could fall on the ground in front of me and I was becoming dizzy. I knew I'd been doomed as soon as I'd seen Taylor with all his bloody cuts.

Taylor looked to be breathing deeply and sweating uncontrollably. I didn't want to move but at the same time I wanted to grab all of them and run. My head was telling me one and my heart, the other.

I stuck with my instincts and stayed in place. The two men hadn't noticed me yet surprisingly, but Taylor soon drew that to their attention when he shouted my name across the small, yet seemingly big, gap between us.

The man with the gun shoved it and the shot of a bullet rung out throughout the entire gas station. My ears starting ringing, my breathing hitched, and my vision faltered. I almost threw up when I saw what was in front of me.

"NO!" I cried out. I fell to my knees, hands planted to the floor supporting my weight.

All I wanted was to not be here. For none of this to have happened. But look where we were and look what had happened.

I looked over at Johnson and almost sighed in relief, his eyes were open although he still looked ghastly pale and fragile, the bullet must have shocked him into waking up. He'd pushed himself out of the truck and was scrabbling on the ground, trying unsuccessfully to get up.

But the relief didn't last long. The two men sprinted off and drove the truck into the night.

I got off my knees and scurried towards one of my best friends who was bleeding out. Johnson looked over to where I was and his eyes widened. He immediately used all the strength he had to make his way towards me. He dropped down beside me and sobbed hysterically.

I joined him, and soon my teardrops were soaking Taylor's shirt. He was motionless and lifeless under our bloodshot eyes. I couldn't cope anymore. I didn't know where any of my other friends were, and one of them was off to heaven. What if the others were heading the same way?

Me and Johnson continued crying until unconsciousness dragged me to a state of peace for once.

Sammy's POV

I was awoken when someone started tapping on my shoulder. I started and then calmed down fractionally when I saw it was Maggie.

I looked around my surroundings, remembering everything that happened after getting out of "Stass's hostage".

It had been all quick driving and orders from Maggie, telling me where to turn and which roads to drive down. We'd soon found a hospital and rushed Maia in there long before I'd even parked the car.

The doctors had rushed her away from me and left me without any answers. I'd been beyond confused. Me and Maggie had been instructed to sit in the waiting area until further notifications.

Until now, there had not been any news and I'd passed out from my sleep deprivation over the past few days. But now I was fully alert and ready for whatever Maggie told me.

"The doctors came out while you were sleeping but I didn't want to wake you after all the sleep you've lost recently. They say you can see Maia when you're ready." Maggie gave a slight upturn of her lips and I bolted up from my chair without a second thought.

After Maggie had told me the room Maia was being held in, I barged in and took a long look at my babygirl. Tubes were draped in and around her arms, bandages and pads placed around her body. My heart ached to comfort her.

When she heard the door open her eyelids flickered and she squinted up at me. Then when she saw me, she looked around her and her eyes widened in alarm. She clutched at the bedsheets tightly, probably wondering what the fuck was happening and why she was here.

The first word that escaped her lips was, "Sammy." It was a high pitched squeak but I recognised it immediately as my name. I rushed over to her and kissed her forehead lightly, gripping her hand in mine tightly but not so as to hurt her.

I stroked her cheeks gently and her eyes closed shut. "Relax baby. You're okay, you're going to be fine. I'm here, okay?"

She relaxed as soon as my words left my lips and she nodded without hesitation.