Chapter 33

Sammy's POV

I was getting pretty drunk to be honest and I could feel myself getting light-headed. That only ever happened when I had way too much to drink, like over excessive. I didn't even think I'd had that much to drink in all honesty.

I'd walked over to the far side of the club, away from lots of the people, wishing Maia was with me right now.

One minute Johnson had been by my side and then the next he'd disappeared. I had no idea where to start looking for him so I just decided to wait where I was. He'd probably gone to the bar or the toilet and he'd return.

While he was gone, I felt an arm sling over my shoulder. I furrowed my eyebrows, knowing that it wasn't Gilinsky, Johnson or Nate. When I turned my head I raised my eyebrows in shock and surprise.

I immediately hugged Lyla and stood back to take in her appearance. The last time I'd seen her was when we were both in high school. Which felt like forever and a lifetime ago.

We got to talking about everything that was happening in our lives except that I forgot to mention about my girlfriend. Don't ask me why, I don't know but also I'm like drunk beyond the point of sanity just saying.

She asked for my phone so that we could text to catch up and arrange a meet. She gladly typed in her details and handed me back my phone, content clear on her features.

Someone called her name from behind me and she peered over my shoulder to see who it was.

"I've gotta go, my friend needs a lift. Have fun Sam and don't get too drunk." She warned and hugged me tightly again.

"Too late for that." I murmured, knowing that she could hear me clearly. She giggled and pulled away to look to the left of me.

I turned to follow her line of sight and saw Maia stood there. I looked her up and down, staring at her body like the art exhibit it was. When my eyes made their way back up to her face, it seemed to be drained of colour and she looked like she could cry.

I pulled a confused face and made to walk forward but she ran in the opposite direction as soon as one of my feet was in front of the other.

I seriously don't know how she runs in heels but I also don't know why she ran away...

After processing it through my intoxicated brain for about 5 minutes, just shows how much alcohol I consumed, I came to the realisation that it must've looked really bad from Maia's perspective.

I mean, me and Lyla were hugging and exchanging numbers and laughing and everything. I guess I didn't realise at the time how that must've looked.

Oh man, I've really messed up, but she needs to let me explain. Maia is really stubborn though and doesn't give into someone else's opinion easily, even if it is me.

I ran after her, pushing my way through the thickening crowds of sweaty bodies, not caring who I have to push out of my way to get to my love.

I ran out into the street, the cold night air hitting me in the face like the wind had backhanded me. I frantically searched around the venue, wanting to make sure Maia was okay. I knew she was already pissed off with me but I hated her to feel and think this way about me. I pulled out my phone and instantly dialed her number, praying that she'd pick up. But of course trying to make her point, she didn't.

I cursed, profanities streaming from my mouth as I rung the cab service to collect me and drop me at Maia's house.

As soon as it arrived, I climbed in and the warm air clung to my body comfortingly. I welcomed it and sat back in my seat, giving the directions to the driver and thinking about what I was going to say to Maia.

I was going to have to be quite careful with my words and also have to show her it from the initial point of view and not just what it looked like. But that's going to be fucking tough.