Chapter 20

Sammy's POV

What is it with the Jack's today? Showing up least when we want them to. Right now was no better than the time that Johnson had punched me. I mean, Maia was angry and vulnerable and she hated Gilinsky's guts, who knew what was gonna happen?

"What're you doing in here Jack?" I sighed and Jack seemed confused to my reaction.

"I wanted to talk about your meet-up with Madison," He then took notice of Maia and looked her up and down. "Who's this chick? Helping you get over Maia?" He chuckled but stopped when he realised no one else was laughing.

"Jack, this is Maia." I gestured towards her and Jack immediately straightened up in his posture and seemed embarrassed at what he'd said. He seemed to be creating a blush in his cheeks.

"Oh, sorry." Maia rolled her eyes and walked over to the bathroom, locking the door behind her.

"What're you doing man?" I raised my hands in exasperation.

"I told you, I'm finding out what Madison talked to you about." He raised his voice and I cocked an eyebrow at him.

"Can't you do this later? I want Maia to feel comfortable here and you're only making it worse for her. She despises you for what you did to Maggie and I can't blame her. Just, get out Jack."

He looked shell-shocked and I, on the other hand, felt bold for standing up to him. I was gonna regret it later when I wanted to play on the Xbox with someone.

The surprised look never dropped once from his face and he raised his hands in surrender and shut my bedroom door behind him.

Maia returned from the bathroom straight after Jack left and she ran straight into my arms.

"I'm so sorry Sam, you didn't have to do that for me, you know?" Her voice was muffled in my chest.

"But I agree with you. Jack shouldn't have done what he did. He needs to realise his mistakes."

We laid on my bed; her, fiddling with my fingers and I was combing my fingers through her hair.

"I'm really tired Sammy. Do you mind if I crash here?" Her voice seemed quieter, showing that she was tired like she'd said.

"Go ahead," I walked into my closet and pulled out a t-shirt of mine and some pyjama pants. "Here."

"Sam it's fine-"

"Here." I put the clothing into her hands before she could say anything else and she headed into the bathroom to change.

If she'd changed in here - man, I wouldn't have been able to control myself. And that isn't what either of us needed right now.

She came back in and I couldn't take my eyes off of her. Maybe giving her my clothes had also been a bad idea. She walked over to my bed looking quite nervous and she shuffled around a bit, not trying to make eye contact with me.

I pulled the duvet back for her and she slipped in next to me. I pulled off my shirt and laid down.

I got an even bigger surprise when her arm came around my waist and her head rested on my chest.

I put my arm around her shoulders and pulled her even closer. I played with hair between my fingers under I lulled myself to sleep.

The next morning

I woke up and then remembered how Maia had crashed last night. I looked down where the bed had been occupied and felt my heart drop. No one was there.

I felt that same disappointment that I'd felt the morning after the club. What was it with this girl leaving me the next morning?

I sat up fully when the door opened and Maia walked in carrying a tray. I rubbed my eyes to make sure I wasn't imagining her here just because I actually wanted her to be here. But no, she actually was here.

"You're still here. I thought you'd left." Maia placed the tray on the bedside table and she sat in my lap.

"Of course not, I just went to make you breakfast. Pancakes, waffles and bacon. Eat up!" She still looked puzzled as to why I'd thought that she'd left. I kissed her forehead and it seemed to ease her concern.

"It looks amazing," I picked up the plate and began eating. "Oh, and it tastes amazing as well!"

She blushed from me complimenting her handiwork. "Here try some," I stabbed into a piece of pancake with a fork and brought the food near her mouth. "C'mon."

She opened her mouth after chuckling a bit at my enthusiasm with her cooking.

"If only everyone got this excited when I cook for them." She smiled and it made me happy. She was changing me.

"If you keep cooking me for, you'll get the same reaction everytime babe," She blushed even harder when I called her babe and I smiled at how crazy I could make her. "So what're we doing today?"

"Actually I'm going to speak to Jack," when she saw my confused reaction, she added on, "Gilinsky."

"Are you sure?" I was concerned for her. If she was asking for answers, she might not get the ones she'd been hoping for. I didn't want to see her disappointed with that.

"Oh trust me, I'm sure. I've been waiting to talk with Jack about it for a while now." Her eyes narrowed when she mentioned his name. You could tell she hated him.