Chapter 50

Maia's POV

I was sat on a bench in the park nearby my house, reading a book; but I wasn't concentrating properly and the words all blurred in my vision. I found myself getting caught up in my own thoughts before long.

It's been one month since we found out about Taylor. His death was something I'd cried about almost every night. I'd felt sorry for Sammy but then again, I felt bad for pushing him away at a time like this.

He'd left me alone to grieve because I didn't like other people trying to comfort me at my worst and Sam got that, thankfully. But at the same time I felt lonely but I felt pathetic admitting it. I felt silly that Taylor's death had impacted my relationship but I understood because we both were close with Taylor at some point.

At the funeral, it'd been unbearable. I almost hadn't shown up given the amount of people I'd be surrounded by. Crying, yelling, begging, it all happened, and it was all permanently glued to my brain. It was all I could think about these days.

That same night I'd gone home and punched a hole in my bedroom wall. I was never one to bottle up my emotions and release them through anger, but it was a rational decision I decided in the moment and that's how I landed myself in hospital.

Sammy showed up and the look on his face was one of relief but pain. I knew why and I knew I'd also disappointed him. I couldn't bare to look up again.

He'd gotten me out after signing papers and driven me home, never speaking a word. He was understanding like that, and knew I would only speak when I was ready. But he also probably knew that I'd never want to speak about it. I could tell he already knew enough about it since he could read me like a book.

That was one whole month ago. Ever since, me and Sammy had only seen each other twice.

The first time was when I was called into the police station shortly after the funeral, precisely 5 days. Gilinsky and Sammy had kept their promises that they'd turn their information to the cops, even when Stass offered no other threatening moves. I'd also found out it was her too. She was taken into jail and locked into a cell. I was beyond thankful.

The second time was when I'd been in the same park where I was sat now, two weeks ago, drunk off my ass at three a.m. Sammy had refused to let me stay on the bench the entire night even when I began yelling at him so loud that people in the next city could probably hear. I felt another twinge of upset of what I'd put Sammy through.

We were supposed to be together in everything. We were supposed to be side by side and loyal to each other, but I'd neglected that. It was all my fault that I'd closed him out. That's why I was here on that same bench I had been two weeks ago.

The first time had been coincidence; don't ask me why Sammy was at the park at three a.m; but I was hoping today would be much the same. I'd been sat here for two hours in counting but I wasn't bored. Not even close. If I had to wait for him to pass by all day, I'd do it easily.

My book kept me content, and the sun was shining down on me too making me feel warm and fuzzy; something I hadn't felt in forever. It was peaceful and for a moment, my brain was cleared. I was relishing in the moment and that was enough for me.

That was until I spotted almost invisible blonde hair due to the brown roots growing out. I jumped up from my seat on the bench and followed behind who I thought was Sam.

Sammy's POV

I was on my daily run. I'd started going on one everyday because it released a lot of my stress. And I'd been having a lot recently. It wasn't just Taylor that was getting me stressed.