Chapter 49

Maia's POV

Those words that held so much meaning were flying through my mind creating a buzzing noise and reducing me to a headache. I felt like shouting at my head to rid of it all.

The table was eerily silent and uncomfortable. Everyone sat in front of me had known him somehow.

Maggie and Georgie through me, from when me and Taylor used to be a thing, although they'd only seen him recently on rare occasions.

Johnson, Gilinsky, Nate and Sammy all were close friends of his and looked to be too deep in shock for them to comprehend it, apart from the jacks who'd already had time to process this information and now just looked solemn and grief-struck.

And finally, me. The one who'd had her heart broken by him. Who'd fallen in love recklessly with him all those years ago and regretted it all when he chose someone else over her. I was the girl that shouldn't care but felt like the world around her was crumbling and he had broken her heart unmistakably all over again.

I didn't know what to do, I didn't how to react and I was sure the others felt the same. Therefore I got up and left, walking out the door I felt had been so long since I'd walked in. There was no one to stop me and I was thankful.

As I walked out of the diner, the breeze hit me with an almighty force and it shook me out of my dazed state and put my emotions in check. For no sooner was I a little way from the diner than I was huddled on my ground, rocking back and forth as the sobs continued.

I only paused to remove my hands from her face when I heard someone sit next to me and turned surprisingly to face Gilinsky.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to have to tell you, to tell any of you. And I shouldn't have had to. But you have to know something," Jack carried on relentless of the look I was giving him not to tell me whatever he knew. "Taylor was where he was when he died because he'd been trying to protect you. I told Sammy I'd seen Taylor before, obviously not telling him he was gone until now," I flinched when he mentioned how Taylor wasn't here any longer. "But he told me he saw you in the same building he rescued you from. That must have meant something. You must have meant something to him."

Tears had gathered again and I didn't know how long I could hold them back before I became a sobbing mess. I still didn't know what to do with myself. Oh god, how did this happen? It's all my fault.

Sammy's POV

He's gone. It only felt like last night that he'd called me and come around to my place to comfort me over Maia and how she'd gone missing. Now he was dead and he wasn't coming back.

I felt like crying but at the same time I felt empty. I couldn't bring tears to form in my eyes and I just wanted to snap the table into two with my hands.

Sure I'd been mad at Taylor when I'd found out ages ago that he'd cheated on Maia when they'd gone out but now I wished I hadn't been. That'd been their history and I was glad I was where I am with Maia right now. Even if that meant her having to get her heart broken.

Taylor was only here for limited time. I understand that now. But I also understand that someone else gathered here could be here for limited time; and I don't want to lose anyone else. I want everything to go back to the way it was. Oh god, how did this all happen? It's all my fault.