17. His broken heart

Costanzo was drinking at the bar looking around him. It was almost near the end of the ball but still the place was packed with guests. It was as though these people had no intention of leaving any time soon.

Costanzo drank his tequila at once in one go and waved a barman over. He spoke " I want another one."

The barman nervously looked at Costanzo " Sir.... I am not permitted to serve more tequilas to you because of your safety."

Costanzo sighed " It's my responsibility. Give me another drink please."

The barman looked away nervously and swallowed hard and then looked back at Costanzo "Please sir. I have been ordered not to serve you any more. But I know who I am dealing with. Please feel free to jump over the counter and help yourself to any drinks but I am not allowed to serve you.... please sir. I have children... Don't make me pour you another drink."

Costanzo rolled his eyes "I wasn't going to make you do anything. Relax. But who told you to stop serving me?"

"I did". Antonio's voice came from behind.

Costanzo turned around and faced his cousin "Why?"

Antonio ignored his question and looked at the barman "Off you go. You did the deed. Now beat it."

The barman didn't need to be asked twice. He made sure he steered clear of the two men giving them space.

Antonio spoke "You have had enough drinks for one night. You are coming upstairs with me."

Costanzo spoke "I don't need you to watch me. I know what I am doing."

Antonio spoke "I know. That's why I am telling you to stop. You want to forget your pains and drink yourself to the point of intoxication. I think you have inherited that from my father. He always drowns his sorrows in alcohol. As you know it never works. Your pain wont go away by drinking. You would end up getting a hang over tomorrow and feeling depressed."

Costanzo spoke "I wasn't planning on forgetting anything....... If I pass out tonight it would be worth it."

Antonio spoke "I see. You just want to stop staring at her and want to get close but you can't. So you prefer knocking yourself out. Is that it?

Costanzo spoke "Actually I cant even do that. I have to keep watching out for no one to notice."

Antonio spoke "I have heard enough. Follow me."

Costanzo spoke "I want to drink. I am not coming upstairs now."

Antonio sighed "Sorry about what I am about to do. Turn around and look behind you."

As Costanzo turned around, Antonio looked around at the almost empty bar seating area and skillfully hit Costanzo behind his head making him lose consciousness. As Costanzo fell from his chair, Antonio caught him in the air and laid him down on the floor.

Antonio then turned to his men. You stay back guarding this zone. Wait for my instructions. He then saw Angelo and Anna walking close, so he shouted to Angelo "Hey, Doctor. Come over here. Costanzo has had to much to drink. Come help."

Angelo stopped his conversation with Anna and ran to Costanzo. As he knelt on the floor, Antonio then whispered "I hit him to knock him out but later tell Francesco its alcohol poisoning if he ever asks."

Anna was also now towering over Angelo "What? Why did you hit him for?"

Antonio spoke "Because I couldn't get him upstairs without a fight. He was going to make a scene. I know it. He was going to drink himself to sleep tonight."