50. A Thanksgiving (Part 14)

Adele stared at Angelo with worry and spoke in an emotional tone as tears were running down her cheeks mirroring her brother's tearful state " Angelo. No. I don't want you to land yourself in danger again. Don't risk anything for me. Haven't I done enough to hurt you? It is all my fault you are tied to this pole right now and watched every minute of the day. It is all my fault you are treated this way. I want you to be safe. I want you to be out of harm's way.  I know Francesco has hurt you. He told me he did and I am sorry. There is nothing I can do about what he has done to you I don't expect you to ever forgive me for anything you have gone through for me..."

Angelo spoke quickly in a desperate tone "You are not getting this Adele. You can't understand how much you are hurting me right now by saying all this. Isn't it enough that I have to worry for you while I am being kept away from you? Isn't that enough torture? Actually Francesco hardly did anything to me. He could destroy me mentally and physically. He was capable of doing it. But he didn't. A few punches in my gut are nothing compared to what is happening to your life and what could happen to you in future. I am tied to a pole and treated like a dangerous threat. But what about you? You are about to be tied down to a life with a man who has no heart..."

Adele whispered "He does have a heart..."

Angelo nodded "He does .... Only when it comes to you he does have a heart. I assure you that I am fine. I deserve much worse for my failed attempt to save you. This is nothing. I give credit to your man. He has self restraint. I can see it in his eyes how much he hates me. I know how much he wants to break me. I know. I tried to take you away and all cards are out on the table about how I feel about your engagement to him. He should have killed me. He made an exception of his own rules. I know how much leniency he showed me..."

Adele looked into her brother's eyes and spoke with a pained voice "But he still hurt you and he wants to put you under surveillance and has demanded that you don't ever form a family as punishment. If that is not enough he is banishing you to Emanuelle O'Neil's mansion too while he is calming down his rage... I am sorry Angelo for all the pain I have caused you. He needs to treat you like a brother in law and a member of his family but he doesn't all because of my mistakes.  You got into trouble with Francesco because you tried to save me and also for not keeping me away from Michael. My friendship with Michael was what made your relations with Francesco so breakable.  All this time you tried to warn me to keep away from rebelling and wait for him. I didn't listen and now I am too useless to even save you. I don't deserve you as a brother. ..."

Angelo sighed  as his tone turned serious while his eyes remained tearful "That is enough Adele. We don't have much time to speak alone. I know I am being sent away. Antonio told me. So, we may not have this luxury to talk alone for a while. Antonio reckons I won't see you until your wedding day. Please stop blaming yourself because it hurts me. These people are not normal. They are criminals. In an ideal world you are allowed to have fun and make the most of you 20s. You are allowed to make friends without fearing a jealous admirer coming along and trying to kill one of your friends just because he is a man.  I know you were very lonely in the past ten years. You shouldn't have lead Michael on to the point he proposed. That was a slap in the face for Francesco.  I warned you to keep away from Michael because I knew he was in love with you and your relationship with him meant more to him that it did to you.  You didn't listen but that's all in the past now. Michael is now safe with his family and Antonio's men are watching over him back home. But forget the past. Concentrate on the present Adele. Francesco's love for you can put people in danger but your love for Francesco can save many lives. Think about it."

Adele was biting her lip looking away "All I do is cause trouble for you."

Angelo spoke "Stop blaming yourself. You did save me many times ever since Francesco has been dealing with me. Costanzo told me about how you saved me. But I promise that I won't do anything to anger Francesco from now on. I would not give him an excuse to hate me more and would not defy him openly again. So be at ease. But I can only give you this promise if you promise me back that you would tell me when things get tough and your life goes wrong with him. I would act so obediently that Francesco won't forbid me from being around you. I give you my word. But you must give me your word in return that you won't keep anything from me. I would rather die in the most painful ways than find out you are being hurt by Francesco and you keep silent. We only have each other Adele in Francesco's world. We have no one else. Everyone has an agenda in this criminal world and think of their own gains. Anyone who is not their own blood is fair game and not immune to death. I learnt that from Ambrogio amongst many other aspects of this married life you are about to start with him...."