60. Flying To The Unknown (Part 3)

It was dawn and Costanzo was packing up his suitcase for the trip to Italy. He didn't look forward to the trip at all. Part of him was telling him to run and part of him was telling him to wait. He was afraid of running because of what had happened the last time. The last time he had tried to run with the woman he wanted to marry, he was caught. Francesco had caught up with him and Elize. They were trying to marry at church and Francesco had them surrounded. If it wasn't for his uncle Piero, Elize could have been badly hurt. Now he was afraid to make things worse. At least now that Francesco was on his side, Amaranta had a chance to live but still Arturo was the enemy. He was telling himself that he had to be brave. He had to marry Amaranta by any tricks he could to insure her. But it felt wrong to think that way. He wanted to save Amaranta and he was going to do it but he wasn't going to force her to say vows she wasn't ready for or she didn't mean. He was going to try to find another way.

Suddenly the door to his bedroom opened and non other than Francesco entered. Costanzo looked at his brother as he stood up " Good morning."

Francesco slammed the door shut and walked to his brother as he was shaking his head " I didn't think I would find you here. I thought you were in Amaranta's room guarding her. Arturo is sleeping next door after all. If Adele was next door to Arturo and I was in your place, I wouldn't have been here packing my stuff. I would have been elsewhere. But never mind."

Costanzo spoke " I trust the guards." He was surprised at how his brother's tone was not harsh that day. He sounded different. He sounded almost ... caring.

Francesco sighed as he stood in front of his brother and stared at him directly " You never learn..... I am not here to discuss your love life or rather your non existent love life. I am here to discuss what I asked you to do at the hotel. Give me your answer now."

Costanzo gulped. He couldn't form words, let alone sentences. He didn't think Francesco was going to ask him any time soon especially on the verge of making a trip. He had forgotten all about that after Amaranta's situation had become so critical. He had no idea that the day of reckoning coming up so soon mean that he had to have an answer ready just then. He had no answer to give. What could he say? Their parents and how Francesco wanted to deal with them was a touchy subject that Costanzo didn't even want to think about.

Francesco spoke in hard tone " You baffle me. Man up and give me an answer. Will you? Of course. You are not even man enough to go and make the woman you love, yours. I don't know when you are going to grow some courage. I don't think I will ever live to see the day.... You know when I give you chances to express your view, you must take them. I may not give you a say if you push my limits. Tell me what you think is justice for our father for forcing us to live through hell and what does our mother deserve for accepting our abusive father with open arms."

Costanzo managed to utter one thing " Forgive."

Francesco reached his hand up and grabbed Costanzo's collar of his shirt " Is this the best you can come up with?"

Costanzo nodded " Sorry."

Francesco still had Costanzo's collar of his shirt in his hand as he complained " You sound like her .... You sound like Adele. She was trying to get me to forgive and forget too. I wondered why she was so insistent. Did you have anything to do with it? Did you put her up to that? Did you force her to speak to me?"

Costanzo remembered. Of course he had. Days ago he had sat down with Adele and told her how much he feared Francesco loosing his soul completely by going after their father and killing him. No wonder she had tried to get him to forgive. It was the only way. Before he could stop himself, he uttered his question out loud " Did she succeed?"