63. His Uncle's Words

Antonio was looking at his father sitting on a sofa opposite to him. He was only there because he had to be. Piero was staring at his son awaiting his next words.

Antonio finally sighed " I can't deal with this. I really can't. She took me to England and I missed out years with you. I was teased and taunted because she was a single mother in that London neighbourhood. Now you expect me to renew my relationship with her and forgive her. I can't do this."

Piero spoke in a firm tone " So.... Are you telling me that I have raised a son who doesn't comply with the most basic Rosario code? Complying with the wishes of your parents are what I have drilled into you. Are you telling me I wasted all my time? Your mother apologised to you for all the hurt she caused you. She was young. Too young. She was hardly 18 years old when she was pregnant with you. She thought she was doing the right thing...."

Antonio spoke " What about now? Is she just over it now? Why isn't she running away now? What has changed?"

Piero spoke " I don't expect you to understand. Now that her sister has accepted her faith so has she. She doesn't want to die alone. She wants to be with me and give our marriage a chance. One day when you are married, you will understand. Your mother sees no point in running because you are all grown up now. She no longer can save you from this life in her view. She feels that she has failed as a mother. But she has hope to build her life again...."

Antonio spoke " I can't believe you are taking her back in your life. All you did was fight when you found her and I. She ran a second time and you found her exiling her here to live with her sister. What has changed now? Tell me truthfully. I find it hard to believe. How did she suddenly change her mind. She was giving you a cold shoulder until now..."

Piero spoke " You are observant son.. I tell you that .... Maybe your uncle having a near death experience had something to do with it. When Maria forgave Paulo, your mother started coming around. She even held my hand at the church as we were witnessing Paulo's and Maria's wedding. But then the bullets came and she was shocked. She saw how they tried to kill me and Paulo tried to save me. That changed her perspective. She thinks if you don't appreciate what you have, The Lord will take it away. My beliefs also....."

Antonio sighed " What is wrong with you? You kill for a living and you talk of faith. I never figured you out father. But I accept that explanation. I believe you. But why did Paulo throw himself in front of you?"

Piero shrugged " Because I saved his wife. I stopped him from executing what he was planning to do to his wife ten years ago."

Antonio spoke " Why did he have a change of heart. It's confusing me. He tried to hurt his wife and suddenly wants to be with her. What made him change...."

Piero spoke " Maybe he never changed. He loved his wife. Just like how I loved your mother and she loved me. We all make choices and take things for granted. Paulo was just taking out his pain of missing Maria on those around him and was too proud to go after her..."

Suddenly there were voices heard outside. Suddenly Martha came downstairs and came to the living room. What is going on out there?"

Antonio went to the window and watched in horror how Francesco was angrily arguing with the guards outside the guest house his father was at as Adele was holding his arm and looking on. There were a dozen guards outside forming a wall in front of Francesco. The orders of the Don were specifically regarding how guards should have watched Paulo and Piero as long as Francesco was around.

Antonio turned to his father who was also at the window now " He is here for you by the looks of it. You have to talk to him. He won't leave until he talks to you. Don't keep him waiting. That would only infuriate him. I will take mother upstairs."