38. A Thanksgiving (Part 2)

Francesco was sitting behind his desk staring at his cousin Anna sitting opposite him on a chair facing him as his words were playing in her mind. It was around twelve midnight. She was at Francesco's mansion around twelve hours earlier than expected. She never expected to be sitting at her cousins office the night before thanksgiving being given options she just heard.

When Anna was summoned to come to Francesco, she had expected to be faced with anything but what she had just heard. She had no idea she was going to be told of possible ways to save Angelo. She was shocked. She couldn't believe it. Francesco never let a traitor live. Ever. She had cried herself to sleep last night thinking Angelo was going to be dead by morning. When Francesco had sent men to bring her to his mansion she had thought of possibilities that maybe Francesco had found it in his heart to let her say goodbye to Angelo in person before he was going to kill him. But now she couldn't even begin to describe her emotions. Angelo could be safe. He could stay alive if one of Francesco's options was chosen by Adele.

Francesco spoke in a firm tone " So, you see the situation is serious Anna. You are not going to make decision making hard for Adele. She managed to have a meal without feeling sick finally. She is much calmer now and not shaking. I want her to sleep peacefully tonight and have enough appetite tomorrow. That would all depend on you and how difficult you act when she talks about the options when I take you to her. She insisted that she wanted to talk to you and I agreed. Even though she hasn't made a final decision and hasn't talked to you about it, she feels more at ease. She is not so stressed now and I would like her state to remain that way. I summoned you here to give you the heads up about what's to come. I want you to tell me if you are going be difficult and will be refusing her any of the options. Tell me now."

Anna thought sarcastically to herself " And sign my death warrant and my family's. sure."

Francesco raised an eyebrow " Speak Anna. I asked you to come here so I make sure you know where you are standing. Do you have a problem with my options I have given to Adele? Speak now."

Anna shook her head " I would not be difficult...... But how is this possible? I am shocked for options to be available to save Angelo.....If an option is chosen, does that truly mean for Angelo to be forgiven. He won't be paying any price except losing me."

Francesco nodded " Good. At least we have an understanding..... As for Angelo, he will pay by losing you and the chance of having a family. He will not be allowed to marry and have children. I forbid him to. I even forfeit my conditions for him to give up sons to serve me. I think that would be a reward rather than punishment. So he is not allowed to have a family at all. He would live alone and die alone under my men's close watch .

Anna cringed at Francesco's words. She wanted Angelo to be happy. He had done wrong by running away but he had sympathy towards him. He was not a Rosario and hadn't even been around one long enough to know the rules and the consequences. He had betrayed his employer and his family by running to Ambrogio but it didn't mean she wanted him to suffer. Now the situation was too good to be true. Adele had all the cards in her hand and had to just start playing. She couldn't believe his much this woman had influence on Francesco. With a snap of her fingers she could save lives and condemn them to immense pains if she wished it.

Francesco looked at his cousin with a threatening glare " You will be respectful to Adele and won't be difficult. This is as simple as that. If you upset Adele tonight, you will face the consequences."

Anna spoke " I won't cause any trouble. I am here not to Add to Adele's conflicts."

Francesco nodded and stood up as he walked around the desk. He walked to his cousin and stood in front of her towering over her. He grabbed her chin and tilted it upwards. He spoke in a hard tone " I don't want to hurt you Anna..... But I will, if you force me to. There is no limit to my cruelty if Adele is hurt by anyone even if its only by emotional means. If you can't behave yourself, tell me now and I won't take you to see her. I will choose an option for you now."