52. A Thanksgiving (Part 16)

Adele was taking steps backwards watching Francesco clutching his vodka glass in his hand as he was looking at Adele with fury. Francesco looked menacing as his eyes were following Adele's movements. He started walking slowly towards her as she was retreating. He broke the silence and spoke in a low threatening tone " Take back what you said. Do it. Say to me that you didn't mean it. Apologise to me."

Adele had enough now. She held the ring in the palm of her hand tightly " Why? I don't apologise for telling the truth? This is called honesty. I wish to repeat what I said. I want you to take back your ring unless you show me that you trust me. You think I will make the same decisions as your mother and you are wrong. That has clouded your judgment. You know full well its true... But I know what is hitting you hardest is when I say you are your father. You know very well, you are following your father's path in both business and life. You are him now."

At that moment, Adele saw in horror how the vodka glass in Francesco's hand cracked but didn't break. Francesco put the glass down on a table as his stare did not leave Adele's " We will come back to your brothers verdict shortly. I warn you that I won't hesitate to crush his bones in my hand just like this glass. I would crush anyone that comes between us. You should know that. Now do as I asked. Apologise. Take back everything you said. You are right. You just added salt to my wounds by accusing me of comparing me to my father. How dare you?"

Adele's back hit the desk behind her and she gulped as she saw Francesco's intense look as he was getting closer. She didn't want to risk Francesco getting his hands on her before she said to him how she felt. She decided to create some distance between herself and Francesco so quickly. Adele went around the desk as Francesco started following her around the desk. They were now circling each other.

Adele took a deep breath and spoke "You are your father whether you like to hear it or not. Someone has to say it. You have become what he wanted you to become and you know that. That is why it seems to bother you when you hear it."

Francesco's stare was not leaving Adele's eyes. He spoke in a hard tone as he carried on circling the desk slowly " You believe that? Really? .... Then, I am surprised at how you acted so defiantly and took your ring off. After all, you believe that I am like my father. If you think I have turned into him, then you should know that taking that ring off and risking the consequences could bring you to brink of breaking point. After all, I am like my father according to you. So put that ring back on and then we can get to discuss everything else you threw at me." His eyes were daring Adele to defy him.

Adele mirrored Francesco's movements walking around the massive desk but she didn't back down. She opened her fist and put the ring on the desk with shaky hands as the look in Francesco's eyes became even more menacing. She spoke with a heavy heart but a determined voice " I won't put my ring back on. Why should I? Give me a good reason to do it. You should be asking yourself that why do you want to marry me? If you don't believe that I am loyal then why did you ask me to marry you in the first place? I will not put my ring back on and will not marry you until you declare to me that you fully trust me. But, it really shouldn't make a difference to you. You can have me. You have the power. You are capable of forcing me to be with you and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it....."

Francesco was beyond furious. As he banged his fist on the table and circled the desk mirroring Adele's moves. He roared "How can you accuse me this way? I would never hurt you. I would fight for you until I take my last breath. I will fight so hard until you say yes to me by your free will. When have I ever hurt you that way? When have I dishonoured you? I love you Adele. I know you want me as much as I want you. You declared it to me. You took that ring off for what?...."

Adele spoke as her heart beats were getting faster. It had to be said. She needed to bring up his family and she knew there was going to be painful moments. She knew she was going to hit the arrow in the target with her next word. She spoke in a careful tone " I took my ring off because you have to resolve your problem with ..... trusting people Francesco. You need to learn to trust people. Not everybody is after hurting you. All your life, the people who were meant to love you and protect you, were forced to leave you or hurt you. I experienced a different kind of life to you. I had a loving family. My parents showed me nothing but love. My uncles brought me gifts and souvenirs when they came to our home but your uncle tortured and killed people in front of you and destroyed your childhood. My parents told me bed time stories and took Angelo and I fishing. We had camping. and barbecues every summer. But what did you have? You just had so much weight on your shoulders and pressure to become like your father following his strict rules to turn you into a crime boss...."