68. Guests Coming Over

Francesco opened his eyes to the morning sunshine and of course to the sound of footsteps outside his room. He looked at his watch. It was early morning.

The door slowly opened and Francesco saw his uncle Pietro coming in.

Francesco spoke "Do you have to wear a suit at all times. It is early in the morning."

Pietro walked to Francesco.

Francesco spoke " Close that door. You  will wake Adele."

Pietro complied and then looked around the room "I must be ready. You never know when that Irish will turn up. He has taken a different route compared to Arturo. He is making his way through a harbour of Sicily that his Irish allies control. He could be coming here any hour he wishes. I have to be prepared for him."

Francesco spoke "He is not coming here directly? Of course. He goes to his allies to get some life insurance first. You don't trust him and he doesn't trust you."

Pietro spoke "But he trusts you. You are a Rosario."

Francesco shook his head "Not the same. You and I don't fight on the same side. If we were, you wouldn't have shielded my father from me. So what are you going to do? Keep him here forever?"

Pietro looked directly at Francesco "You know nephew, I don't think it would be within your best interests to keep going on and on about my brother. I wont tell him but my father may hear or suspect your intentions that don't seem to be affected after talking to your father. My father thought you could talk it out with Paulo and get some peace but it doesn't seem to be happening by the looks of it. At some point my father's patience would run thin....."

Francesco spoke "So would mine. I am running out of patience too. There are so many compromises I would force myself to do. Holding me back from the real confrontation I deserve by taking my men and my weapons is not sitting well with me. You father keeps throwing at me that I must have my wedding in Sicily when I repeatedly say, this is really not my decision and not my right to decide that. A woman plans her wedding. She is the one making the biggest sacrifice leaving her family behind and joining another. The least I can do is giving her a wedding that she wants. Now, your father has not drawn the line in interfering with my life there..... On top of it he wants me to treat my father like any normal person would. Well, he is either losing his mind at old age or he doesn't know me at all. I think its a little bit of both. Why would I want to forgive my father?"

Pietro shook his head "I hope if the Lord gives me a son, he is not as stubborn as you. Any father wants what is best for their child. Your father wanted the best for you and by the sounds of it he failed."

Francesco spoke "Damn right he failed..."

Pietro spoke "Look. I am sorry about your life. But you must let it go. I don't know much about what happened in your father's family life...."

Francesco spoke "Exactly, you don't know anything about your dear brother. So do not dare to tell me how to act. I have no idea why the Don wants to keep me here if he knows what I am capable of. I do not know why you are here trying to talk to me when you know I don't listen to you."

Pietro sighed "Your father is dying. That has to make a difference...."

Francesco spoke "No. It doesn't make a difference. He is still breathing and he thinks he can just make everything go back to normal by saying he is sorry."

Pietro spoke "What has he done exactly that has got you so mad? When you came over here in summer time, all was fine. When I visited you in new York, you and Costanzo had freedom, you had no curfew. You seemed happy. What did I miss."