70. Family Ties & Weddings (Part 1)

Adele and Francesco were the last ones to enter the dining room of the Don's mansion followed by O'Neil. Almost everyone was sitting around the table, talking loudly but no one was eating. The Don was not there yet. Adele saw heads turned upon their arrival nodding at them.

Arturo and Anna were there and Anna had a ring on her finger now smiling at Adele. Anna and Arturo were sitting next to each other holding hands right near the top of the table and opposite Mama Adriana. Aunt Sofia was next to Francesco's uncle Pietro. Georgina and Antonio were furthest and Georgio and her fiancé, Flora were sitting between Georgina and Sancia who had an empty seat next to her for O'Neil. Francesco's parents, paulo and Maria were sitting opposite the two empty seats next to Costanzo that were reserved for Francesco and Adele. They were next to Francesco's uncle Piero and his aunt Martha. As Adele and Francesco took their seats and O'Neil walked to Sancia and planted a kiss on her cheek as he sat down, there was tension felt in the air. Too much tension.

Adele suddenly noticed someone calling her. She turned and saw a woman sitting next to Francesco that she hadn't recognised. The woman spoke "Adele. Hi... I am Patrica. Nice to meet you darling." Next to her was a man who resembled Anna so much. He had curly golden hair and had a friendly look in his eyes even though Adele knew he was an assassin. He nodded politely "Nice to meet you. I am Roberto as you may know. I am the luckiest man alive to have this woman in my life." He pointed his finger at Patricia.

Patrica slapped his wrist with her hand as she turned to him "Flattery won't get you anywhere."

Adele loved the honesty between the couple. They looked so great together. They looked so in love and she could tell they were so in love by looking at how they interacted with each other. Out of all the couples at that table, they had the most chemistry. She could see where Anna's confidence was coming from. Surrounded by alpha males in the room, did not make her cower away or act any differently at all even though Adele did notice that her husband was getting some cold looks by Patricia's brothers, Paulo and Pietro as well as from Mama Adriana. It was obvious he was not popular. But Piero acted indifferent to him. After all he had convinced his parents to not kill Roberto and let him marry Patricia.

Adele then heard Anna addressing her "Oh, Adele. I have told my mother all about you. She loves you already by the way." She then gave her a warm smile.

Adele looked at her engagement ring on her hand and spoke "Thank you Anna for introducing us already by the sound of it. Congratulations for the engagement. Have you decided on your wedding yet?"

It was O'Neil who laughed "Oh, there is no wedding. Arturo needs approval today." He then turned to Arturo "Good luck."

Arturo turned to O'Neil and spoke with hardened eyes but a polite tone "Thank you O'Neil. I appreciate your .... well wishes."

O'Neil turned to him "You are welcome."

The Don finally entered the room and all went quiet. He sat down and said a prayer before the meal and after he reached for bread, all followed silently.

It had been a while since Adele had been to Italy to see the sight of Italian breakfast. There were many items on the table most of which were home made she could guess. There were dishes of butter, jam, biscuits, olives, cheese, fruit and tomatoes. But also there were specialty type bread and pastries that Adele knew she had to say goodbye to if Francesco was never to visit Sicily again.

The smell of fresh coffee was so inviting. Adele who did not like to drink coffee in the morning even poured herself coffee into her cup. Italians knew real coffee. She smelled the coffee and took a sip absorbing its delicious smooth taste.

Francesco poured two glasses of orange juice from the jug and turned to her "Have some orange juice sweetheart. The coffee maybe too strong. I will have the rest if you could not finish it."