59. Flying To The Unknown (Part 2)

Adele was staring at Francesco's eyes searching for answers. He had become silent now looking at Adele with an unreadable expression. He looked like he was thinking about what she had just said or rather that was what Adele was hoping for. Finally he sighed and turned away from Adele.

He sat up on the bed and then spoke in a low tone " Sleep tight Adele. It's getting late. I have to leave you for awhile."

Adele gasped " What are you saying? Are you really avoiding me and my questions? You can't do this..."

Francesco sat on the edge of the bed and glanced at the lying form of Adele " You have no idea what you are asking me...." He then stood up " Be a good girl and go to sleep. Don't wait for me."

As Francesco started walking away towards the door, Adele got up and sat on the edge of the bed. As she saw Francesco reaching the door handle with his hand, she spoke " You can't go. You can't avoid giving me straight answers. You told me I am not to interfere with anything related to your business and I have accepted that. But this is not about your business. This is about your family. You either trust me or you don't when it comes to discussing family matters....."

Francesco kept his hand on the door handle as he turned around. Francesco's expression hardened as he demanded " Go to sleep...."

Adele objected " Why can't you answer me? You either do trust me or you don't. You weren't leaving a minute ago. Just when I started asking a genuine question about your motivations for going to Sicily and dealing with your parents, you suddenly said you wanted to leave...."

Francesco spoke " There is a reason I wish to leave ."

Adele spoke " Fine. But at least answer this question; Do you trust me or not? Tell me the truth."

Francesco let go of the door handle and walked to Adele. He made Adele nervous as he stood towering over her. He reached one hand up and started stroking her hair. He spoke coldly as he was towering over her "We have had enough arguments for one night. Don't you think?"

Adele whispered "Don't you trust me? Why cant you answer me?

Francesco spoke with a dark tone that made chills run down Adele's spine " I trust you but .......I don't trust myself."

Adele was confused " You can't trust yourself with what?"

Francesco clenched his jaw as he spoke " If you take my father's side I may lose it Adele. I don't take kindly to people mentioning him, let alone defending him. You want him at our family thanksgivings.... Don't tell me you want him at our wedding too."

Adele remained silent and bit her lip.

Francesco shook his head and pulled his hand away. He looked tense. He turned around and walked to the door. But Adele got up and ran to the door and blocked Francesco's path as she covered the door with her body. " Wait. Let's talk about this. You must learn to forgive."

Francesco narrowed his eyes and closed the distance between them by taking a long step and put his hands at either side of her head on the door. He spoke " You don't know what you are asking. Don't push me, Adele. Damn it.... I can't take it if you take his side. You already seem to be taking sides. You are making me angry Adele. You are not involved in this issue and it's good that you aren't. Don't push yourself into my thoughts and plans for my father or you may not like what you see. You don't know everything about my life. That's why you are defending my father and that is why I forgive you. It's not your fault. You are innocent and think you are trying to bring a family together. Guess what? Some families don't want to be together and are not good together...."

Adele pleaded " Please Francesco. You must forgive the people in your family who have wronged you in the past. Leave the past in the past and concentrate on the future."