64. His Brother's Conflicts

Francesco looked at Adele and noticed how distraught she looked. She actually was worried about him. He kissed her forehead and whispered "Fine. if that is what you wish. Let's go sweetheart. Some fresh air may do you some good. Calm down baby." He then ran his hands up and down her back and smiled at her reassuringly. "Let's go." He then gently untangled Adele's hand from around his waist and took her hand in his as she was worriedly looking at him hoping he didn't do anything to anyone in that room.

As Francesco walked passed his uncle he spoke "You will pay for breaking your word."

Antonio was afraid. He really could not lose his father. He had not met his father until he was 14. He already had lost so much time with him. He was afraid that this was it. Francesco was going to sentence his father to death unless Adele intervened. If Francesco sentenced someone to death, he carried it out successfully. Antonio knew enough about his cousin to be certain that no one escaped him. No one. No matter who they were and where they were hiding he got to them. That was Francesco. His boss was holding back now but Antonio had served long enough under Francesco to know his cousin well. He was shaking in fear now for the first time in his life.

Antonio pleaded shakily as he walked behind Francesco out of the living room "Please Francesco. Hurt me if you want but not my father. What my father has done is wrong and I am sorry but he is my father. I beg you to do what you want to do to him, to me... Hurt me to hurt him."

Francesco reached the door and stopped his hand on the door handle as his other hand was in Adele's hand. He spoke as he was facing the door "I am your boss. Your first loyalty is to me..."

Antonio spoke "Of course it is. I am not disputing that. You are my boss... But please punish me instead of my father."

Francesco turned to stare his cousin down " Don't tempt me Antonio...."

Suddenly there were footsteps heard from upstairs. Francesco stopped speaking and looked up at the approaching form of his aunt Martha. She looked between Francesco and Antonio and felt the tension in the air.

Martha spoke "Francesco... Is that you? You have changed so much, nephew. Is that your fiancé?"

Piero came out of the living room and stood close to the stairs and looked at his wife "Go upstairs Martha. This is not a good time. He is angry..."

Francesco nodded as he was still tense. He spoke "Yes, That is me and this is the love of my life, Adele." He then looked at his uncle "You think I would hurt my aunt? She has done nothing wrong to me."

Martha smiled and spoke "Can I get a hug?"

Francesco looked at Adele "Let go sweetheart. So I can give my aunt a hug."

Adele slowly let go of Francesco's waist and stepped aside.

Piero stood protectively in front of his wife "You might hurt her to hurt me."

Francesco laughed bitterly "I fight fair. Unlike you and your brother."

Martha side stepped Piero and walked to Francesco embracing his nephew. "I am sorry. What has Piero done?"

Francesco took a step towards his aunt and then embraced her "Don't worry aunt Martha. I am letting it rest for now..... You wear the same perfume as my mother." He then pulled away and turned to Adele "Don't worry. My aunt is not an underhand like my uncle. She won't stab you in the back if she gives you a hug."

Martha turned to Adele and embraced her as she whispered " It is lovely to meet you Adele."

Adele whispered "It is lovely to meet you too."