Too Late.(Akaashi Keiji)

-Thank you for requesting! I know this request was originally asked to have a happy ending, but I decided not to. Because it's an angst. LOL. I must do it's genre some justice. I mean it wouldn't be classified as an angst if it didn't wrench your heart apart till the end right? Hope you don't mind. Enjoy!-

  Ever since the break up, you never returned to your cheery self again. It was like your entire entity was ripped away from you in the blink of an eye. It wasn't like you were suppressing your true personality, more like you couldn't go back to the way you used to feel and see the world. The only outlet that made you feel truly happy was volleyball. 

  The stinging of your forearms from the impacts of the ball, the tickling feeling of sweat trickling down your temple and damping your hair, all these sensations numbed your pain and slowly mended your heart back to it's original purity. Yet there was something you knew was never going to come back, and that was your faith in love.

Akaashi Keiji.

  He was a cool and composed man that was everything you ever wanted. He was good-looking, secretly adorable and a very loving boyfriend. He gave his everything towards your relationship, and you could not have been any happier when you were around him. You still couldn't understand why he decided to leave you for someone else. Were you just not good enough for him? Were you holding him back without realising it? All these nagging questions managed to flood your mind at least once every single day. Sometimes you would just brush it aside and ignore it, and somedays you would sit in the shower fully clothed whilst sobbing till you couldn't physically cry anymore. It was pathetic really, even to you. However, there was something else that tore you apart every single day when you saw him across the hall way.

    You loathed the girl he chose over you. You had no reason to hate her, other than the fact that she had something that you did not. She was indeed prettier and more perfect than you could ever be in your life, but in your eyes, she couldn't be any worse than the green-eyed monster creeping up on your shoulder. Jealously was one thing, but real hatred was another. And you were slowly losing yourself and succumbing to darkness. Every time he smiled at her or gave her the glance you knew well, your fists would reflexively clench together as you fought the urge to sock them with consecutive punches. You loved him so much, yet you hated him even more.

  Naturally over years, his face faded away from your mind gradually. The vivid colours of your previous relationship disintegrated into nothing but a mere memory. But now, even that memory was on the verge of being thrown out entirely. It wasn't like you wanted to remember anyway, but you were just sick and tired of having him dawn up in your mind occasionally. You felt extremely guilty and untrusting, as you were dating someone new now. He was nothing like Akaashi, in fact, he was the exact opposite of him. He was loud and obnoxious, but he never failed to cheer you up. After all, you owed it to him for sweeping you off your feet to save you from becoming a hopeless celibate. You never wished to see Keiji's face again, but the world was a small place, you were bound to cross paths again.

"Ah...(Your Name). What a surprise." Keiji called out casually and you turn around as a response to your name being called.

"Ah. Keiji." 

You attempted to sound welcoming and warm, but judging by your cold and uninterested tone, your efforts were painfully disregarded by your instinctive defensiveness.

  He lets out a soft and dry chuckle before looking down at his fingers as he knots them together uncomfortably. He always had that habit of fiddling his fingers, and you felt your heart contract painfully as you realised that some things just don't change.

"You don't sound too happy to see me." he said softly with a sad lopsided grin.

"Well...I would be lying if I denied that assumption," you sighed as you ran a hand through your (Your Hair Color) hair. "If you were in my shoes you'd do the exact same thing." 

"I know. Listen (Your Name), I'm sorry for what I did in the past. I was naive." he murmured with his lips barely moving.

"Well. That was the past, let's just forget about it, yeah?"

  You give him one of your fondest smiles before attempting to brush past him, but he quickly latches on to your arm with a firm grip. You turn around to catch his desperate expression. Who would have known someone as composed as he was could make such a face? His eyes were pleading and his lips trembled as he attempted to justify his actions with words. You didn't want him to utter a single world, not because you loathed his voice, but because you were afraid that you would give in to him and make the same mistakes over and over again.

"(Your Name)...I-" he whispered hoarsely but you interrupt him by raising your hand.

  Tears brimmed around your eyes as they begin to dribble down in a gentle stream down your face.

"Remember Keichi, you left me." you sobbed silently as you lowered your face to wipe the endless tears. "You can't expect me to just bounce back into your arms like that. I've moved on, don't you see?"

"I know it's unreasonable of me, but please just give me another chance. I can't let you go...like this." he breathed intensely while holding your gaze with his fiery set of eyes.

Just as you open your mouth to answer, you feel clamp down on your shoulder gently from behind you. You turn your head to see your boyfriend with a serious expression as he looked straight ahead at the man in front of you.

"I would appreciate it if you let go of my girlfriend's arm...Keichi."

"Bokuto." Akaashi gritted his teeth before reluctantly tearing his hand off your skin.

  As Kotaro wrapped his arm around your shoulder tightly to lead you away from the broken man, you give him one last painful glance before shutting your eyes as you force yourself to look away.

"Goodbye. Keiji."