Helpless.(Lev Haiba)

-Thank you for requesting!This is an angst!Enjoy!-

Ever since your wedding, your feelings for Lev only got stronger and stronger as time went by. There's no denying the fact that time was soaring high and fast, but that just made your love much more sonorous. Emotions rang out clearly and endlessly, like the clean stream of a glistening lake. Your honeymoon was a huge success, and soon afterwards, you found out that you were expecting a new addition to the family.

  Lev was overjoyed. He grew protective of you and would not let you out of his sight most of the time. When he did have to leave to go to work, he would rub your stomach tenderly before making you promise to eat well while he was gone. Unfortunately, due to Lev's job, he was away from home quite frequently. Being a part of the national volleyball team had its own perks, but it had numerous downsides to things too.

  Your due date was approaching, and getting up and doing things got harder by the day. You could barely lunge around grocery bags, but having one massive weight on your torso and waist was much worse than that. It was one day, that a series of sharp pains begin to stab around your stomach. The pains were growing intense, and you could barely breathe anymore without panting.

"L-Lev!!!" You hissed over the phone as another wave of pain hit you.

"(Your Name)?! What's wrong?!!?" his urgent voice calls from the receiver.

"I-I don't know. My stomach h-hurts. Ugh!" You gasped.

"What?! Is it the baby? But he's not due until-" he began.

"Lev...my water...just broke."

"I'll be right there! Wait for me!"

~~~

"Push!!! That's it. Good job ma'am! You're almost there! Just one more push!"

  The nurses and doctors surrounded you eagerly as they peered at the process you were making. You reminded yourself not to believe that "one more push" would do the trick, but you couldn't help but believe so because there was no progress yet. You'd been like this for almost a full night, and no thing was happening. You could see the doctors trying to keep you from worrying, but their eyes said it all.

"Her pulse is dropping!!" Someone in the distance called.

"We can't hold it off any longer. Prepare for emergency C-Section!" A stern voice rebounded.

Amidst the wild beeping of your heart monitor, you heard Lev calling out to you desperately.

"(Your Name)!!!! You need to stay with us. Stay with me! Try not to pass out!"

"She's lost consciousness!!! We need to get her to SURGERY. NOW!!!"

  Lev sat on one of the unforgiving plastic chairs as he hunched over with his hands over his swollen eyes. He wasn't just tired, but he was also worried sick about his wife and child. He knew about nothing that was going on in the surgery room, and as he stared at the ominously red operating sign, he knew that there was nothing for him to do but pray.

At that moment, a doctor emerges from the sliding doors and Lev bolts up from his chair as his eyes widen. Judging by the surgeon's face, he seemed to be carrying only bad news.

"Haiba-san. I'm greatly sorry to say this, but you need to make a choice." He hushed.

"A choice? What do you mean by that?" Lev asked, a little distraught.

"Your wife and son. We can only save one." He answered with a sympathetic tone.

"No. There must be another way! I can't just CHOOSE to kill my child or my WIFE!" Lev exclaimed before tugging at the ends of his silver clumps of hair.

"If you do not decide now, they both will most likely die. Please sir, please act quickly."

  Lev collapsed back into his seat in complete awe. His shoulders trembled as short gasps replace his steady breathing. He lets out a bloodcurdling yell before squeezing his hands into fists. The surgeon stands quietly before opening his mouth again with urgency.

"Sir-" he began.

"Save her," Lev growled as the tears coil around his eyes. "Save my wife."

~~~
"Lev...." You mumbled

The anesthesia finally began to wear off, and when your consciousness returns, you feel your husband's hand gripping your own tightly. His head shoots up at the sound of your weak voice and he immediately stoops over you whilst pulling your head into his neck. You feel his body spasm and also notice the endless tears splashing on your shoulder.

"What...what happened to our baby?" You breathed.

"He...he didn't make it. (Your Name). I'm so sorry. Please forgive me. I just couldn't choose to let you die like that. I ju-!!" His sobs grew more raspy and helpless until you quelled his panic by pulling him in closer before clutching the back of his head with your hand.

  The reality of it all throws your whole balance off, and your own tears stream down your cheeks. In other rooms, new parents were crying with happiness, whereas you both were bestowed with only sadness and helplessness.