Chapter Seven

Oak

When I had woken up, the pain in my back had numbed to a sting and my entire body felt like tiny invisible ants were running on it. I squeezed my eyelids tightly together then I turned my head an opened my eyes. My eyes widened a bit when they made four with another pair. The familiar light green eyes that usually caressed me with motherly love stared at me in disappointment.

"You stopped taking the medication" she said flatly folding her arms on her chest and I winced at the scowling I had been receiving. "You knew this would happen Oakley. Why didn't you just take the medication?"she asked with her tone softening and I glanced away from her eyes that had been wishing guilt on me. "I'm sorry" I croaked out and she sighed as she tapped her foot on the ground.

"I already phoned in at your school that you will be late. I'll be waiting in the living room" she muttered and I watched her feet as she exited through my doorway. Sure I knew that the medication was working but I still would've at least enjoyed a day in bed.

Especially a school day.

------

The drive to school was honestly one of the worst I had encountered in my sixteen years living. Most times even if we argued earlier we'd find something to talk about. But now, I was stuck in an unnerving silence trying to figure out if I should just speak or stare out the window. Although it pained me, I chose the later.

When she pulled up in the parking lot it was ten minutes after lunch so the loud outbursts of chatter and laughter could be heard distantly. "Mom-" I finally got the courage to say but I was cut off when she sighed and said "It's okay Oakley. You don't have to apologize. People make mistakes daily. Just....think about what you're doing before you do it" she said softly looking over to me with a reassuring smile on her face and I couldn't do anything else but embrace the inevitable smile that grew on my face.

"Thanks" I said quietly stretching over my seat to give her a quick hug and a kiss on her cheek. "Have a good day" she said smiling at me as I unbuckled my seatbelt and opened the car door. I stepped outside with a stagger and breathed out a loud exhale as I steadied  myself then I walked up the stairs to the hallway of the school.

I was grateful that everyone had been in the cafeteria, giving me peace to walk at my own rate in the empty hallway. That was the pro. Of course there was also a con present. I'd have to walk through the packed cafeteria where everyone would be looking at me. I only realized that when I was already entering the cafeteria.

The silence had already swept through then ended briefly when a sharp feminine cackle rang from the back of the room. Soon the chatter was back, but louder and easier to distinguish. Most had been asking questions relating to my late arrival, others to my appearance. I glanced away from them and made my way to my table that was at the side.

Still deserted.

Once I reached there I slid across the plastic bench and sat down, taking my lunch from my bag. I only had chicken tenders and fries. I didn't even eat it all off before my mind began to stray to the day before at this morning. Unfortunately my thoughts hadn't been given the opportunity to stray very long as I was startle with the loud clatter of trays.

Six familiar faces had come to sit at the table whilst talking to each other. Among them my eyes met with a very familiar pair of crystal blue eyes than scanned me briefly then he glanced away. "Hey Oakley" his sister said as the others jammed themselves to sit on the benches of my table and my heart stopped.

I didn't have an appetite anymore.