Chapter Thirty-Two

O A K L E Y

O A K L E Y

"Oakley." I heard my Chemistry teacher call out and gradually her figure came into focus. I stared at her groggily as I kept my head rested on the wall beside my seat at the back. Her plump pale lips carved their way into a synthetic remodel of a sympathetic smile then she coaxed sweetly "I was calling you before to ask you for the molar mass of Sodium Hydroxide, but it seems you drifted off". Her remark caused a series of snickers to echo throughout the room and I chewed on the insides of my cheeks as I stared at what they had been working out on the whiteboard. 'Forty' I wanted to say because honestly everyone knew that, I may have sucked in Chemistry but I got used to answering that question wrong so many times that the correction stuck to me. I guess this was her way of trying to embarrass me in class. Instead of answering though I stared at her in annoyance then I shrugged indifferently.

As soon as I shrugged Emma began to chortle like the stupid 'pig-soul'ed person she was. Mrs.Blackburn immediately narrowed her eyes at me and her lips fell to a flat line; almost disappearing on her flat-toned face. "Pop quiz everyone!" Mrs.Blackburn announced loudly causing a series of whines and snide remarks to fill the room. One thing that seemed to overdo all the other bickers was the remark Emma made. "That bitch ruins everything" she scoffed as soon as some of the bickers had quieted causing most of the others to laugh boisterously and I sighed with a roll of my eyes. Same old, same old; nothing ever gets new. "Emma. Because of that lovely comment you just aced yourself an evening for two with Ms.Dickens in the detention room. Put up all the books. All you need is a pen and a folder leaf; anything else will be considered as cheating material. You have two minutes before we start"Mrs.Blackburn said with an evident hint of annoyance as she went to sit behind her desk and the bickering resumed.

I felt a piece of crumbled paper hit me behind my ear and I narrowed my eyes at it when it fell on my desk. They didn't even bother to roll it up to hide the message.

'Thanks a lot Toad'

I in turn crushed up the paper and flicked it through the window then continued to put away my things. I might not had been prepared but I didn't plan on failing either. I can't believe Lucky even had the nerve to come to my house yesterday. Why hadn't Jason visited? Soon I had blanked out again and when I had resurfaced from the tides of my thoughts, it had been ten minutes to lunch. I had ten minutes to write off seven questions and also to calculate the answers. I swore to myself mentally as I began to answer each question from former experiences but between each question something else happened. I found myself thinking of a man with a baby cradled into his arms being chased by people in white with golden eyes and dark crooked creatures with pure white eyes clawing at his baby. The whole scene stunk of purple death. I shook my head to rid the gruesome thoughts and the constant splatter of blood as he fought to protect both him and the infant. When I was at the last question I saw something that I was pretty sure wasn't what was on the board.

'8. If the world were to end because of your own existence, would you die to save the souls of men?'

There wasn't a number eight, Mrs.Blackburn gave us seven questions so where did the bonus one come from? I stared at feeling a sickeningly cold shudder jolt my spine. I frowned at the questioned as I clicked the back of my pen against the page. With knitted eyebrows I brought the point of my pen at the beginning of the sentence to mark it out. 'Answer it my dear. Think about it and answer' I heard a cool eerie voice coo in my ear and I blew out a shaky breath. That's just me, must've been due to my overdosage on pain killers. But would I? Wouldn't I die to save my mother and Jason and Lu-

'NO'

Immediately I found myself etching the two lettered word under the question without the slightest bit of remorse and for a second I felt relieved and at ease but that all went away when the temperature fell drastically in the classroom. A quick flash of a crooked tall old woman with one deranged eye and a pale bony face structure flashed before me and I recoiled into the wall. A few of the people near me eyed me strangely then went back to answering their questions with a shake of their heads. I breathed out shakily then grabbed my pen and etched deep dark lines through the question and my answer. After a while of forcing myself not to think over what had just happened I heard the voice coo sweetly in my head again 'Very well princess' and somewhere else in my mind I heard and felt a deep growl erupt, vibrating in my chest.

Well that's a normal thing to do.

Hey guys this chapter is shorter than usual sorry 😂. So I'm done with the goals thing but please continue to do you best and introduce my book to anyone you think might find this interesting. Love you guys lots and ciao 😝