Chapter Ten

O A K

'I know that she's different'

'Don't treat her like it. It'll lead her to do stupid things'

'I hope you know that you I only told you and your sister this because you both seem reliable'

'I assure you. You have nothing to worry about'

Within a matter of seconds I had found myself walking tiredly down the stairs to the living room. The voices lulled me closer and I gave in to them. I stopped at the doorway when I realized what I was doing then I turned around. 'When did I wake up?' I thought to myself as I made my way to the back veranda.

I pulled the wooden part of the door then the mesh part that was there to block insects out. The cold air ran up my spine and I closed my eyes and breathed in the earthy scents that greeted me. I leaned on the doorway tiredly then opened my eyes again to stare out into the forest behind my backyard.

The moon lurked cockily above it in its blue mystical beauty. Like his eyes. Immediately at the thought of the platinum haired boy, my heart fluttered  as I recollected the memories of all the times he looked at me.

'Don't go around there. Don't you remember last time'

I cringed at the thought that surfaced in my head but stubbornly made my way down the stairs anyways. I didn't bother to put on any slippers. Soon I felt the soft plush grass under my feet and I blew out a heavy breath. There was something that made me feel so at ease when I could feel the earth under my feet.

I could communicate with everything else in contact with it. Within a matter of seconds I watched my house disappear behind me then I continued through the dark maze of trees. When I was near the clearing again I froze when I noticed something was off. Thumping against the earth. Feet. Rushing towards me. I took in a deep breath at the sound as I waited for the fear but it didn't come.

I could feel that whatever was coming meant me harm but it didn't make me afraid as I usually was. I couldn't tell where the animals or persons were coming from. For all I cared, they were coming from everywhere. Without much thought I ignored them and sat in the center of the circular clearing. My light blue night gown dampened with the moist dark soil that covered the clearing.

Soon the thundering footsteps grew louder and they were accompanied by the sounds of distant cackling. My skin crawled at the sounds as I watched the dark shadows race around the clearing. The shadows moved quickly in blurs behind the trees and I cradled my head to try and block out the excessive array of noises and sights clouding my brain.

'What the hell are you doing?!'

'Run away!'

'Oakley!'

"These thoughts aren't mine"I said to myself finally realizing the fact then I opened my eyes. As once as I did though, I saw one of the dark silhouettes rush right to me and I gasped.

- - -

"Why the hell are you out here?" I heard a voice call sharply and I opened my eyes slowly and tiredly. I froze when my eyes met a familiar pair of crystal blue eyes then furrowed my eyes  at his upside down face structure. "Oakley" he called again staring at me and I sighed in content as I stared back at him. "Yes" I said sweetly and his furious features went neutral as his jaws slackened then he swallowed loudly.

He shook his head to himself then he straightened his posture from his crouched stance. Soon he held out a hand and I took it immediately. A shudder ran down my spine at our contact then I stood up. "Why are you here?" I found myself asking as I brushed at my gown and then I looked up at him.

I caught his eyes linger over my body then they snapped up to meet mine. "Why are you here?"he repeated sarcastically and I furrowed my eyebrows. "I live here" I said in annoyance and he smiled smugly at me. "Hm. I know"he said brushing his fingers against my neck and my breath hitched.

I closed my eyes as I leant into his touch but soon he retracted his hand. I opened my eyes in shock only to meet his wife ones. He took a retreating step back causing my heart to shatter and I felt like my stomach fell to the ground. I waited for something, anything or any non verbal way he would try to apologize and console me.

He didn't even try.

I looked away from him in embarrassment at the coy he had used against me to test my vulnerability. I pushed my way past him in annoyance as hot tears began to trail down my cheek.