Chapter Nine

Oakley

Like every other storyline you'd think people revive from fainting spells slowly. Gaining back their conscience and body sense by sense until they finally had enough strength to open their eyes. Well that's not how it always worked. Matter-of-fact that barely happened. What I felt was different.

First it was a deep void in between spaces of time that I never seemed to remember how long I had been there because it felt like I only blinked. In another second my entire body spasmed forward as I drew in a sharp breath. The action had made me light headed as I observed my surroundings frantically.

Inside the room was minimalistic with pale blue walls and a springy uncomfortable bed underneath me. By the strange metallic smell in the air I could tell it was some sort of medical building. It was the distant sound of students chatter that gave me an idea where I was. The sick room.

Immediately a louder voice began approach the door to the room.

"What do you mean I can't go in? She's awake"

"Mr.Smith. Would you kindly step outside? Ms.Dickens needs all the rest she can get before she's on her feet again"

"If you don't let me pass then she'll probably need another drive home as well"

Immediately picking up the voice I noticed it was the platinum haired boy and I paled instantly. I didn't have enough time to start fake sleeping since the door was soon torn open and I stared through it like a deer caught in headlights. My heart hammered vigorously in my chest as I looked at him.

His pink lips that were about to form words clamped together tightly as his crystal like eyes ran over me in concern but soon the look disappeared so fast I had to wonder if it was even there. There was a strong yearning to leap off of the bed into his arms and attack him with hungry kisses. But I couldn't.

I could.
But I couldn't.

He didn't want me that way. Even though I wanted him so so badly. It was almost a miracle how I had been managing to compose myself that much. I glanced away from him to my hands that were shakily and tightly fisting the flimsy bleached sheets. He cleared his throat to himself then muttered "Get your bearings straight. I'll be outside".

I looked up to watch him dodge past the concerned nurse and my heart fluttered a the promise of him walking me to his car. Maybe it was because I was sick. Then again maybe it was an empty promise. I forced myself to stop thinking about it as I stood up slowly and ran a hand through my hair.

My fingers got caught in the knots half way through and I groaned aloud. "Need help" the school nurse asked politely and I stared at her in confusion. "Okay".

I shouldn't have taken the offer. While she had been brushing through the knots, she took her time to question me about when last I had eaten a reasonably balanced meal and lectured me about anorexia. Of which I was not a victim of course. She just didn't understand.

If anything I wanted to gain weight like crazy. But only if I would end up growing in all the right places. I did not want to be skinny or fat. I wanted to look mature and I would try to achieve that by any means and if that was a medical condition then I was severely affected.

I smiled tightly at her with a quiet 'thank you' then I left. My hair felt alienated in the high bun she had managed to get it in and the clip was squeezing my scalp. I could already feel the headache building up in the center of my head. When I walked outside the nurse's office I spotted the platinum haired boy outside and once his eyes caught mine he began to walk to the exit.

I followed sheepishly behind his tall lean frame but not too close in the fear that I'd injure his social status. Once we made it into the sunlight I kept my eyes away from all the groups of students. This time I fixated them on the descending platforms my feet made contact with.

The ride back on with him and sister was almost as bad as the one with my mom earlier. But this didn't really have tension. I took the lack of conversation as an opportunity to nap on his back seat.

L U C K Y

'You can't hide this from her forever Blue' my sister linked me in my thoughts and I groaned in frustration as I removed a hand from the steering wheel to run it through my hair.

'Drop it. Don't remind me. She doesn't have to know anything.' I huffed back in annoyance through our mental linkage and she sighed aloud.

'You can't forget what she is to you Lucky. You're smart enough to know that'

'Shut up'