Chapter Eight

Oak

The reality that people were at my table sitting beside me suddenly hit me as their constant chatter began to be aimed at me. "Where were you this morning?"Pyper inquired opening the milk carton her tray and and I took in a deep breath. "Home" I said quickly as if my answer was to be with in the range of a millisecond.

She stared at me strangely then chuckled as she flashed her long platinum blonde hair over her shoulder. "Overslept?" Jason asked flashing me a knowing grin as he leant over his tray and pushed a hand through his luscious curly hair. At this my eyes followed the brief movement of his fingers and I answered again with a sharp response.

"No"

"That's the second time in a row. I don't know if it's just me or you're giving us an attitude. But I don't think you want us here. We should leave" the platinum hair boy said standing abruptly only to be pulled down by all four other members of the group. "No. She's just..." Pyper said beginning to intervene then she trailed off as she looked at me.

"Quiet that's all" another brunette girl from the group finished for her and I breathed out a shaky breath as he slowly sat down back with furrowed eyebrows. By just looking at him I could feel how uneasy he was and it also sort of killed me knowing that I was the cause. "I'm sorry" I mumbled and Jason slapped my back reassuringly causing me to wince and burst out into fits of ruthless coughing that I knew would only lead to one thing.

Blood

"Ew" a brunette boy said from the group as he leant into the brunette girl's shoulder and Pyper made a face at me as I covered my mouth with my palm and hobbled off of the bench. Soon I found myself outside of the lunchroom with my hand against a tree as my body spasmed continuously with coughs.

My chest buzzed with pain and my back was the epicenter to it all. Tears prickled at the corners of my eyes as I tried to suppress the coughs since I had nothing to wipe away the blood. Soon there was a nervous and anticipating chill running over my body which only meant that someone was close to me. But the feeling was so different.

I turned around and froze when my eyes made four with a pair of light blue eyes. Immediately the feeling of butterflies seem to overpower the pain and my breath hitched. Self consciously  my hand sprang to my mouth to cover it and I blew out a shaky breath causing my lungs to ache.

Just by looking at him I felt a strange yearning in the pit of my stomach as I stared at him almost lightheartedly . But the feeling also fueled more pain. Pain because he stood a great distance away from him. Unintentionally a whimper left my mouth as I stared at him and he visibly tensed.

It was only my thought.

"Here" I heard him say as he offered me a grey kerchief and I looked up from the tag to him. Is this a trick? "Oakley."he called trying to get my attention and my heart lurched forward at the sound of my name from his lips. Soon I found myself moving slowly to him. With each step closer to him the buzzing feeling inside intensified.

Once I had held onto the kerchief, my body felt completely overwhelmed by his proximity. He bit down on his bottom lip as he watched me then he swallowed loudly. I thought he was going to kiss me or something from how he looked at me but I was surprised when he glanced away and stepped back.

I glanced away too and brought the kerchief to my mouth with a quiet 'thank you'. I proceeded to wipe my mouth but soon with a quick sniff of the rag I smelt his cologne and once again our eyes met. His head cocked to the side as he dampened his lips. I blew out a heavy breath and soon after staring at him for a long period I felt like a tight elastic band popped inside of me.

I fell limply but I just knew I never fell to the ground.

I knew it.