The Kick Back: Stephanie's Story

Growing up in the 80's had to be the toughest of times. Hate crimes were at a high, and the crack epidemic had hit the streets hard. The bay area didn't love anybody, especially no nigga. I seen so much shit happen I could write a book on my life. From my cousin getting shot in front of me, to walking in the room and my best friend's mother is getting a train ran on her while she's sucking the glass pipe. Hard times hit everyone. Not even speaking on the welfare lines that wrapped around the corner. Growing up in the bay we really didn't have an outlet, or someone to talk to about our problems. The biggest barrier in the bay being racism, and that divided the city like a bad disease. We were all scared, shit some of us had to hide the fact that we had Hispanic, or white friends. Our parents were against us having friends that didn't share the same skin tone.

It became so bad that some of the local kids turned to drugs, or gang banging. I refused to be like them so I turned to my friends and God for someone to talk to. If I wasn't with my people's I was somewhere sneaking off to the kick backs. I would wait right good until my parent's went to work, and snuck my tail right out the window. If we didn't have nosy neighbors I would not have had to sneak. My moment of freedom came when the music started and my body started moving to the beat, after that moment nothing else mattered. Not the riots, racism, or even the problems at home. The only thing that mattered at the moment was me and the music. My mind was so free from worries I could dance all night. Only time I got off the floor was to get a drink of water, then I was right back at it. That was pretty much my routine until this one particular night.

The bay area was having the biggest kick back of the summer, and you know me and my crew had to be there to show out. I wasn't about to miss this party for nothing. Once again I waited until my parents went to work, and I snuck out and met my girls at the corner store. We walked about a half a mile to the party. Soon as we stepped foot in the door, we started grinding to the beat. Dancing with my girls, grinding and doing the kid and play, the party got hype. It was nothing for us to turn the party out and get everyone on the dance floor. I danced until I became exhausted. Getting off the floor I started walking towards the door to get some fresh air. In mid step I stopped, I couldn't take another step.

An unfamiliar face caught my attention. It wasn't because all the young yamps was on him, but because it was something different about him. Almost like he was fresh off the boat. He was so fine I couldn't stop staring. My eye's caught everything from his fresh crisp white tee, Adidas sweats, Chicago bulls cap, and dopest pair of Adidas nobody in the bay had. I played it cool like I didn't make it obvious that I was staring. Quickly I made my way outside. My mind started wondering about him..maybe when I go back inside I'll sneak a couple more looks in and make my way home before my parents get back....