{19} Cooper

ABOVE: Kyle

"Rori, can you help me please?"

My mother calls from the kitchen. I unwrap myself from the comfort of my sheets and make my way to her.

"Yeah?" I answer once I see her. Her brown hair is tucked into a neat bun and she has her red apron on.

"Thanks darling, could you help me with the dough?" She asks while stirring a pot with on hand, and putting something in the oven with the other.

"Of course." She points to the bench smothered in flour with a thick piece of dough on top. I proceed to knead it with all my strength.

It's Christmas tomorrow, and being the Alpha's family my mother goes all out with the cooking. After families spend time together individually, the whole pack comes together for a feast and celebrates together. I haven't been excited for Christmas at all these past weeks, I'm too busy trying to get over my trauma.

It's been two weeks since I last spoke to him and of course I feel bad for leaving him hanging but I can't be around him when all I see is 'Rookie'.

As my kneading becomes more aggressive, I find myself day dreaming about my whole situation.

"You alright, there?" My mother inquires as I take a step back.

"Yeah, I just... daydreaming." I sigh, staring at my beat up dough.

"You're not thinking about Are--"

"Please don't say his name." I tell her and she gives me a small smile as she dices carrots and chops broccoli.

I was scared that it would break me. 

"I understand." She says, and I smile in appreciation.

I spread out the dough again and I feel bad because we stop talking after that. I hope I didn't shut her down. All I wanted was to make sure she wouldn't say his name, I can't handle it. I've been better lately, and I find that if I avoid thinking about him at all that I'm happier. But I know I can't do this forever.

I can't take this break forever, I'll have to return to my pack duties soon. For now, Ash has stepped up and taken my place to prepare him for when he's given his job. But he's not as experienced as myself, and I hope it isn't affecting my pack.

My head springs up when I hear a knock on our front door. I look at my mother who looks at me and then I hear Dexter call out.

"Can someone get the door?"

I shake my head in disbelief that my brother is too lazy to get up, he's probably just watching television.

"I'll get it." I tell my mother before I rush to the door, I don't want to keep whoever is knocking from waiting too long.

When I finally reach the door, I'm met with a familiar face and my arms wrap around him immediately.

"Kyle!"

He chuckles and his hand holds the back of my head. I hug him tightly against my body, feeling the satisfaction of embracing a friend.