{31} Darius

Above: Ash

-----------

"Calm down, breathe. What's wrong?"

I pace back and forth, still in the public restroom. I didn't know if I was relived or pissed off with myself that I made the call to Ash. Where was I going with this?

"I-I did something bad..."

"Do you want me to come get you? I can---" Ash speaks before I cut him off. My little brother seemed much more adult than I was.

"No it's nothing that happened just now. I just.. didn't know who else to call."

Someone enters the women's restroom, and I pretend to wash my hands and leave, holding my phone against my shoulder. The smell of human waves past me like a storm, so I make sure to find somewhere quiet to chat.

"Can you please tell me what's wrong? I can't help you if I don't know what the problem is..." He begins, while I pace back and forth behind a bush.

"I met with the Alpha rogue last night. Alone. I was just trying to do what's right for everyone, the easiest way out."

Silence seemed deafening on the other end; but I could hear him breathe, and then his breath hitch.

"What did you do...?" I could hear it in his voice that he didn't want to know. He didn't want to hear what was next, because it would kill him. And here I was, putting the weight of the world from my shoulders, to his.

And so I told him, and I tried desperately not to cry. Because if I did, my eyes would swell and get puffy. Ares would ask questions.

I could hear his heart shatter. The air grew colder and my wolf became miserable.

Ever since Ash was born, we always held a deep connection. Deeper than my connection with Landon and Dexter ever was - and the three of us had shared the womb together. Mum used to tell us how much of a blessing Ash was. I don't know if she said because she was relieved that he was an only child (I guess her previous triplets scared the shit out of her) or simply because Ash has always been this little angel.

I was the first to hold him when he was born, I taught him how to fight, he was always my shoulder to cry on, he accepted Ares regardless of what he did, he never cared that I fell pregnant at such a young age; Ash truly was, and is, my best friend.

"Oh Rori..." He squeaks.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry that I put this on you. But it's killing me, I can't even look at myself in the mirror." I ran a hand through my hair, trying to keep my composure.

"Shh. You're so incredibly brave for doing that, you know? You're so selfless. I don't have much to say, because of course I don't want to lose you, Rori. You're my big sister, and I love you so much. But, I can see why you've done this, and I can see how many lives this will save for your one. I don't think I know anyone else who would do this from the kindness of their hearts. I know you're torn, I know how horrible it must be. But remember, this is as much of a bad thing as it is a good thing. And I love you. And I'll come and get you right now if you need to talk or hug or whatever you want. I'll always be here for you."

I clutch to my chest, feeling extremely moved yet in pain. I don't deserve a brother like Ash. I'm not the selfless one, he is. I'd trust him with anything, I've practically already put my life in his hands.