Ch.13 This is One Weird Race

Everyone stood outside with determination and hope in their eyes. Some came to watch the race; others were in it. It was a beautiful day for this race to take place. I watched the football players walk into the crowd with their jerseys on and jeans.

"Why the hell are we wearing such things for a race?"

"You have to look presentable." Tamaki responded. I rolled my eyes.

"We are literally wearing karate-like outfits," Carol sighed. "How are we supposed to win when we can barely move?"

"Don't worry Carol-chan!" Honey said. "We'll be fine!"

"I hope you're right," she muttered.

Kanan and the student council president stood upon the stage.

"Let me explain how this race will work," Kanan started. "You're going to follow the prescribed route and answer the questions at the designated sites in each building- east, west, south, and north. If any team member passes, so does his group. If not, the team is eliminated. The group that successfully clears all sites will be given five clues. In the finals, participants must use the clues given to find a particular location. The group to claim the hidden crown shall win the use of the central salon. Any questions? Alright then begin!"

As I heard that I looked around frantically to see the hosts already at the first station. I caught up just in time for us to advance to the next obstacle. I stared in disbelief at the slippery slope they had set up.

"Interesting," Kyoya said. "They want to eliminate a large number of participants this early on."

"How are we going to pass that?!" Carol yelled.

Tamaki attempted it but ended up slipping. Thus the twins used him to try to climb the slope, stepping on him. Tarumi, member of the football club, passed them easily. I face palmed. This was going to be a challenge. Then Mori positioned himself at the beginning of the slope. Honey ran and jumped. Mori pushed Honey up and he landed at the top of the slope. Well, so much for a challenge.

The second site was a math quiz, with Kyoya and Honey, and 100 chin-ups by Mori. The third was a memorized quiz and tight rope walking. Kyoya took the quiz and Tamaki did the tight rope. Fourth was a game of concentration and free throws. The twins and I matched the painting by the painter while Carol threw the free throws. We easily passed each one but the football club was right beside us. As predicted, The host club and the football club are going against each other in the final round.

...........................

All of us host members stood near the west building looking at the five clues we were given. B (_) H, Go up and sink, Tenjiku, KCN, and between the Holy Mother and Angel were the five clues. I sighed, these were tricky.

"Does 'B (_) H' mean that there's supposed to be a word inside the space?' Hikaru asked.

"I bet it's west as in B bust, W waist, and H hip." Koaru replied.

"Go up and sink," Mori recited. "The sun?"

"It could be the song of the sea," Haruhi added in.

"Tenjiku is India," Kyoya stated. "It's also the destination of the party in 'Journey to the West'."

"KNC equals cyanide kalium. Potassium cyanide," Honey said. "It's known for its potent poison and almond-like scent."

"Your character shouldn't have that kind of vocabulary at hand," the twins stated.

Tamaki examined the paper where the clues were listed. "Three out of five clues are connected to West. And we assume one of these points to the sea or sun."