Ch. 26 Welcome to the Family

Having a guy around the apartment wasn't so bad. Dante did more than his fair share. He offered to wash the dishes, he took the trash when Carol or I didn't want to, he even went grocery shopping with me since Carol hated it. He was quite the helper and I loved that. He also never complained about sleeping in the living room. I've tried multiple times to show my gratitude but all he does is put on a smile with the shake of his head and replies with 'I'm your bodyguard'.

Right now; however, I was irritated. About 45 minutes ago Haruhi and Carol left without a word to Dante or I. Not a single text was sent to me. I wasn't angry over the fact that they left, more of that they didn't tell me that they were leaving. So now I'm sitting at the top of the staircase at our apartment building. I most likely have the most sour expression on my face and I bet resting my head in one palm, staring at the road, and my eyebrows being scrunched together isn't helping me. I kept this posture until I heard footsteps coming towards me.

"I'm not a physiatrist or anything, but you look upset."

I scoffed as he took a seat beside me. "How could you tell?"

Dante smirked. "Let's see, the tone, irritated look, and murderous eyes are pretty good signs." Seeing as I didn't respond, his smirk became a frown. "Are you really that upset with them?"

I shook my head. "No, I'm more upset at the fact that they didn't tell me they were leaving."

Dante let out a laugh. My eyes widened at his reaction and he smiled at me. "Did you ever think they wanted whatever they're doing to be a surprise?"

I tilted my head. "Why would they have a surprise?" I stopped and thought about what was happening this month. "There's no important dates or holidays coming up."

"Maybe they just want to get you a gift to show their thanks for you being such a good friend."

I furrowed my eyebrows and scrunched my nose. "I don't need anything...."

Dante let out another obnoxious laugh and ruffled my hair. I let out a 'hey' and frowned. "Come on,  just let them have their happiness. If they want to get you something, let them! Besides, it'll feel nice to receive a gift rather then giving one."

I had finished fixing my hair. My irritated expression disappeared and a smile came onto my face. I wasn't upset anymore and Dante was to thank for that. "Why aren't you one? A physiatrist?"

Dante took back his arm. His face turned into one of disbelief. "Do you know how much schooling is required to be a physiatrist? Eight years! No thank you."

I paused. What did Dante want to do with his life? "Hey Dante? What do you want to do?"

He looked at my face, maybe trying to process why I suddenly asked him that question. Then he sighed and leaned back, keeping himself up with his elbows. "Honestly, I don't know. Since I've graduated high school all I've done is pick up odd jobs. You know, trying to find the one that clicked. None of them did." There was a short pause. "The only job I've really enjoyed is working at the Satomi company- or your company. I enjoyed helping around and it's fun working with my dad believe it or not."

I only nodded in response.

Dante moved his body to where he was leaning forward with his elbows on his thighs. "Have you thought about it? Seeing your uncle I mean."