Part 2

I go back to bed and close my eyes, wishing this would all turn out to be a nightmare when I get up in the morning. But I am sooooo wrong. 

A maid knocks on my door in the morning, calling me down for breakfast. I open my eyes, confused at first where I am. After a whole minute of blinking and staring at the ceiling, I realize I'm in my parents' home in Shanghai. 

I heave out a sigh as I stand under the steaming water from the shower overhead. My body still aches from jet lag and my mind isn't functioning well yet, the conversation last night forgotten...for now. 

After getting dressed, I go down to the sun room where my parents are already waiting, with breakfast set on the round table. 

"Good morning, Princess. How was your sleep?" My dad smiles up at me behind the newspaper he's reading. 

"Good morning," I say lazily, taking the empty seat. 

My mom's smile gives me the creeps. Then it dawns on me...the conversation last night....But it's too early to think about that. So, I just take the fork and silently finish the meal in front of me.

"If you'll excuse me," I'm about to stand up but my mom stops me. 

"Honey," she says, still with that eerie smile on her face. "We have things to discuss."

I know what it is and I don't want to hear any of it. They know I'm against it, and they also know that I'm stubborn. Why even bother?

"I don't think there's anything we need to discuss. No....N....O....NO....." I eye both of them and stand up again. 

"The company's going bankrupt!" My father's voice radiates around the room and into my ears. I stop and look at him. 

"What do you mean?" I sit back down slowly, trying to absorb what I just heard. 

"Our family's about to go down." He says with his eyes closed. 

Both their heads are bent down in shame. Tears slowly come out of my father's eyes and down on the paper he is still clutching. My anger towards him disappeared. I've never seen him cry before. This company is everything to him. It was passed on from generation to generation. I know how hard he worked on this just to keep it going. He wouldn't sleep nights just to make it expand. And now it's crumbling? How could this happen?

My mom takes my hand in hers. "Sweetie, we wouldn't do this if we weren't thinking of you. What would happen to you if the company is gone?"

I still couldn't find words to say, so I stay quiet, staring back at the eyes of my mother. 

"That Mr. Hu has been going around our backs buying us off and secretly dealing with our investors. It's too late when we noticed." My mom's face is of scorn and fear. Mr. Hu is one of the biggest tycoons in China and had eyes on my dad's company for as long as I remember. 

"But..." I finally find my voice, "what does this have to do with me being engaged?" 

"His son..." my father starts...

"Oh no...no no no no no...Not him." Hu, Chenglei! Your nemesis. The most arrogant person in the world....No! 

"But, he's your only chance, honey." My mom is almost pleading. 

"My only chance? Why me? Can't we fix this? Do I really have to get married to Chenglei? Of all the people...why him? What's wrong with being poor anyway? Why don't we just let them take over?" All the questions looming inside me just blasted out of my mouth without thinking. 

My father's head shoots up and he looks me straight in the eye. His tears all gone, just anger in his face. "What did you just say? You think it's easy to give up the company? After all I've done to this...you think I'd just let it go that easily?" He yells.