Part 18

Jess

I get up around eight in the morning. I still feel tired as I head to the bathroom to shower. My mind is still in a certain hotel room last night. SHIT! 

"Besie," Vic is shouting outside the bathroom. "There's something here for you."

"I'll be out in a sec." I yell back. 

"What is it?" I ask him, getting out of the bathroom. 

"I don't know. It was on the floor at the door. It has your name on it." He hands me a white envelope. 

I immediately open it, thinking it's from Mark. Maybe a card to cheer me up before meeting his parents. But what do I see? I gape at the plane ticket inside. 

"What's that?" Vic notices my expression and grabs the paper from my hand. "Holy crap! He really wants you to go with him." 

The flight is to Shanghai at eleven. 

"Besie," Vic is waving his hand in front of my face. "Hey," he shakes me.

"Huh?" 

"What? Are you going? Have you made up your mind yet? Mark or Lei?" 

"What?" My brain is still not functioning.

"You have to decide now, Besie." 

I quietly walk past him and into the room. I take the dress hanging from the closet door and put it on. 

"Yah!" Vic shouts. "Snap out of it, Jess." 

"Huh?" 

"Ugh." He pulls off the dress that is already half way covering my body. 

"Vic!" I yell. "What are you doing?" I snatch the dress from him. 

"You're wearing it inside out, Jess. Shit! C'mon. Get your mind straight."

"I think I'm gonna go crazy." 

"Just decide now or you'll miss the flight." He says, helping me with the dress. 

"So, are you telling me I should go?" 

"NO! I'm telling you to decide." He takes my shoes and puts it on my feet. He then pushes me in front of the vanity and lets me sit so he can do my hair and make up. Why am I even letting him do this? I take the brush from his hand and turn to face him. 

"Vic! Stop for a sec. I can't think!"

"Ok." He pulls up a chair and sits in front of me. "Why are you hesitating to follow this gorgeous boy home?"

"I'm not sure if he really does love me or he just wants my dad's company. What if this is all a plot?" 

"What if he really loves you?"

"How can I know?"

"How can you know just sitting here?"

Right! I let him fix me up, and after thirty minutes of quietly staring at myself in the mirror, he turns me around again to face him. 

"You can do this," he says, giving me a hug. He puts the ticket in my bag and literally pushes me out the door. 

"Wait," I stop. "I thought you wanted me to be with Mark?" 

"I want you to be with whoever you want to be, Besie. If your heart says Lei, then go for it. If it says Mark, then I'd be happy to see you together."

"You're not really helping you know." 

"Just go out now." 

I get in a taxi, and without thinking, I tell him to take me to the airport.