Part 40

Mark

After talking to JYP, I immediately called Jake to book a flight to Shanghai. We get in a hotel in the center of the city. 

"This is one of Jess' dad's hotels," Jake informs me. "I got a call that she's staying in Lei's place. They went to her parents' house for lunch. They're not home yet though."

"Let's wait for them in his house." 

So, we sit in the car parked across the house. It's already five PM and we've been here for two hours now. A black sedan slows down in front and I quickly get out. The windows at the back seat are rolled down. 

Jess! "Jess!" I shout, running towards the moving car. Her eyes get bigger as she sees me. Beside her is Lei. He glares and says something to the driver. "Lei, let her go," I yell at him.

The expression on her face shows fear. She looks at Lei and says something, pulling him back in the car when he tries to come out. The car drives in the gate. Three men stop me from getting through. 

"Jess!" I shout again, holding the railings of the gate and shaking it hard. 

They get out the car and she turns to look at me. But, Lei pulls her towards the front door. Literally dragging her. 

"Fuck you, Lei. Get your damn hands off her." I scream, frustrated that I can't get near. 

Lei throws her in and closes the door behind her. He then strides towards the gate to me. 

"Mark!" 

"Open this gate, damn it!" 

"You can't have her. You're just wasting your time coming here, Mark." He smirks. 

"Let her go, Lei."

"We're getting married. It's game over for you, boy!" 

If only there are no iron bars between us, I'd be punching this guy. "Let me talk to her, Lei. If you really love her, just let her go."

He just grins and shakes his head. He turns around and ignores my shouts, walking in the house. 

"Jess!" The curtain of the window at the second floor opens a bit and she looks out. She touches the glass and, even if there's some distance between us, I can see tears in her eyes. 

"Mark!" Jake pulls me back in the car. "We have to go." He looks around at Lei's men who look like they are ready to pull out their guns from their holsters any minute. 

That night, Jake and five other guys, plus me, gather in the hotel room. 

"What do we do now?" I ask nobody in particular, more like to myself. 

Just then, there's a knock on the door and one of the men opens it. There are three burly men standing outside. The one in the middle moves to the right and I see her. Her head is bent, she's wearing the same clothes I saw her wearing earlier. 

"Jess," I run to her but a man stops me with his large arms. "Jess." I say again.

____________________________________________________________________

Jess

While in the veranda, drinking all by myself, my mind gets flooded with memories of Mark, Vic, GD and the other friends I left behind in Korea. My eyes are already hurting from crying. I know that in the morning, they're gonna swell like melons. I take a deep breath and sigh aloud, just to make my tears stop. But, they won't. 

I hear very soft footsteps behind me and I turn around to find Lei crossing the room towards me. I quickly wipe away the tears and feign a smile.