Part 39

Jess

In just a day, all these fantasies with Mark would be over. At least I should make it memorable. But, I don't want to make it too obvious, for I know he'd be in panic mode if I do. 

I've prepared the perfect song to tell him how I feel at this time. Maybe...just maybe....he'd understand. I can't say it to him face to face because I might give in. 

With everything that's going on around me, I don't know what to think anymore. I'm just tired. Tired of all of these. The only one keeping me sane is Mark. But, I can't take him with me. It's the least I can do for him for all the things he's done. My world is too chaotic for his perfect life. It would be too unfair for me if I keep him by my side.   

I get up when I hear him sound asleep. With the recorder on my pillow, I gently kiss his lips and tears start flowing down my cheeks.

"I love you, Mark Tuan. I'm sorry," I whisper. 

I go to Vic's room, he's still up. He knows I'm leaving. He hugs and kisses me goodbye with a heavy heart. "I'll contact you soon," I promise. 

Jackson, too, waits for me by the door. "Cuz, I'll come visit you." He hugs me. 

"Take care of him for me, will ya?" I try to smile but I can't. 

Just when Mark's decided to take me back, I'm leaving. How unfair is that? 

Jackson wipes the tears in my eyes and nods. "I will."

Two of Mark's guys escort me down. They think I'd just go jogging. It wasn't that difficult to dodge them. GD's car is already parked at the entrance, waiting. 

"You ready?"

I just nod, not even hiding the stream of tears flowing down, wetting the upper part of my shirt. He hands me the keys to his other car as soon as I get in the passenger seat. 

"Zhao," he takes my hand as we enter the highway going to the airport, "we can still back out from this, you know."

I shake my head. 

We stop by a gas station where another girl is waiting. I give GD a long hug before I get in the bathroom and when I get out, I take the other car to Incheon. 

In the airport, I am met by two of Lei's men. I know them by face. I've seen them around even before. 

I look out the window and mentally say goodbye to the country I called home for a short period of time. I'm really gonna miss it. Even more than New Zealand. I'm gonna miss the people in it, and the memories I've made with them. 

The land gets smaller and smaller under me as the plane goes higher up in the air. And as the clouds cover my view, I try to cover all the feelings I have for what's below. 

Now, I am starting a new life. 

I close my eyes, take a deep breath, try to erase all the feelings left from my past life and open my arms to what is ahead. 

"Jess," Lei runs to me as I exit the gates and hugs me. He plants a kiss on my forehead, "I missed you."

"I'm tired, Lei." I shrug him off, but he doesn't seem to be bothered by it. "Let's just go." He smiles and puts his arm around my shoulder to lead me to the car. I didn't bring a lot with me, just the necessities, so there's nothing much to carry. He still lets one of his men get the only baggage I have. 

"Let's just rest for today, we'll go to your parents' tomorrow."

My parents! 

I look out the window of the car from the backseat and sigh. Lei takes my hand and kisses it.