Part 19

Vic

I know I've been too harsh on Jess lately. It's just because she couldn't decide. She doesn't even know what she's feeling anymore. She won't admit that she's totally falling for Mark. Although, I'm sure she still likes Lei, their connection with Mark is getting stronger and stronger. 

Back in New Zealand, she would have 'flings'. I've seen her in and out of those relationships and I know how she is when she doesn't have feelings for a guy. With Mark, it's different. I see her genuine smile every time she looks at him. She seems more carefree and happy, even with the pressure from her business. 

She complains a lot about her problems, Lei and her family, but whenever she's with Mark, it seems like she's forgotten all about them. I just hope she realizes that. 

That's why I let her decide on her own. And what do you know? She really did choose Mark over Lei. I'm actually surprised to see Lei in the apartment. He surely is one persistent kid. I can't blame him, if I were into girls, Jess would be the perfect girlfriend. She's smart, independent, funny - although crazy at times, but she's someone you want to spend most of your time with. On top of all that, she's very beautiful. 

I have to warn her though. She might already be on her way back from her date with Mark's parents. I take out my phone again and dial her number, but before I could press call, my phone rings. 

"Jess," I immediately say after answering. "OMG! So, you finally realized it's Mark, huh?" 

"Vic! How'd you know? I've been really too stupid to see."

"I've known it for a long time, girl. Anyway, we have another problem."

"What?"

"Lei's in the apartment."

"What?" I have to pull the phone away from my ear because of her deafening shriek. "What's he doing there? I saw him in the airport. I thought he took the flight."

"You went to the airport? I thought you went to meet Mark and his parents."

"Long story, Besie. Anyway, what's he doing there?"

"Waiting for you."

"Fuck!" 

"I know right? Anyway, I left him there. I need to take Snow for a walk."

"WHAT?" Another shriek. "How could you do that?" 

"Are you on your way home? Is Mark with you? Oh, shit!" 

"Mark needs to go to this radio program. And yes, I'm in front of the apartment right now." 

"Good Luck, Besie." And I hang up. I don't know what to say anyway, it's up to her now. 

___________________________________________________________________________

Jess

And he just hangs up like that. Ugh! 

Lei! I have to face him and tell him straight that I've made my decision. I'm going to stay here and be with Mark and somehow try to make the business grow. 

I take a deep breath before entering my apartment. The living room and kitchen are empty and it's really quiet. I guess he's decided to leave anyway. I heave a sigh of relief and walk to the bedroom. 

SHIT! 

"Lei!" I must've startled him. He gets off the bed quickly and blinks many times before realizing who's in front of him. 

"Jess," he stands up and hugs me. I gently push him away. "I saw you at the airport. Why'd you run away?"

He saw me? That explains it. Shit again.