Part 36

Lei

Damn it! What have I done? He's my brother for Christ's sake. Why did I do that?

He deserved it. He's a liar. He's dead anyway.

Ugh...my head is aching from all the thinking. I lay on my bed and feel something poke my back. I reach under me and see Jin-Ah's phone - the one I picked on the floor when he fell. I swipe the screen to unlock it...so stupid...he doesn't even put a password. I scroll through his messages and the most recent ones are to someone - 'K'. I wonder who that is. I read some of them. 

'I need you here now.' The most recent says. Replies from 'K'- 'What's going on?', 'What room are you in?', 'Answer your phone Jin-Ah.'

'Hurry up. I'm in Royal Plaza. He's here.' And a reply - 'I'm in Guangzhou.'

'I need to get back to Jeju.' 

I also see messages from Jess. 

'Where are you? I thought you're having dinner here?" That's the most recent. Most of their conversation is about the business. His most recent call is to her, too. 

I press the call button, it rings once then I end it. What would I say? After what I did back in Korea...she must still be angry. 

I shout out loud and in seconds men are in my room. "Are you ok?" One man asks. 

"Leave me alone," I yell. 

What's happening to me? First, I almost killed Jess...Now, I shot Jin-Ah. What if they put me behind bars? I don't want to be back in the asylum either, it was hell. 

I shudder just by remembering it. I feel tears coming out of my eyes, I let them fall. It's the only thing I've been doing nowadays aside from drinking - crying. I feel like a loser. I feel like a loner. Somebody with nobody.

Should I just threaten Jess more for her to be with me? I'm already at the bottom anyway. What more can I lose?

I press call again and wait for the other line to answer.

"Jin-Ah?" She answers on the fifth ring. I purse my lips to stop them from talking. "Jin-Ah? Hello? Hey...what's happening? Are you out?" 

"J...Jess?" I stutter. 

"Lei?" 

I hear another male voice beside her, "let me talk to him," he says. 

"Listen, Jess." I tell her, trying to stop my voice from trembling. 

"Go on," she answers. 

"Jess.....I'm sorry....I don't know what I did. I'm really sorry."

"Why did you do that to your own brother, Lei?"

So, she knows I shot him. Could she be here? "Where are you, Jess?"

"You don't have to know, Lei. Why did you do that to Jin-Ah?"

"He ... he lied."

"That's it? It wasn't his fault Lei. What the fuck! What were you thinking? Lei..."

I chuckle nervously, "why do you care anyway? He's just a business partner to you, isn't he?"

"What? He's still my friend."

"You just use everybody Jess. You used me, you used Mark and now you're using that Kwon guy and Jin-Ah. Am I not right?" 

"I never used you Lei. I loved you. But that was before. Now, I just feel sorry for you. You're sick, you know that?"