Part 42

Jess

"No, Lei." I run to him, immediately pressing down the safety lever of the .45 pistol. "Please, don't." I stand in front of him, holding the barrel with both my hands and slowly pushing it down. "You don't need to do this, Lei. I'm here, aren't I?" I try to make my voice as soothing as possible, hiding the cracking caused by my nervousness. "Let's just ignore him and go inside." I look him straight in the eye and he does the same. I nod at him slowly and he puts the gun down completely. I take it from his hand and toss it to one of the men behind him.

"You promise?" He asks, this time, sounding like a kid.

I touch his cheek and smile reassuringly. "Now, wait for me inside. I'll let him go away." 

When did I ever sign up for this? When did I say yes to taking care of a madman? This is getting more and more difficult than what I thought. But, I'm already here. I can't back out now. He needs me more now than ever. 

Although my insides are trembling in fear, I calmly take his hand and lead him towards the men. "Take him in," I whisper before turning around again to go to GD. 

It's only been two days...or is it already three? I don't even know what freakin' day it is now... but, I already missed this guy. I smile weakly at him as I get nearer. "Open the gate," I tell the guard and he does. 

"Jess," he comes running with his arms open to hug me. I see the men beside me ready their guns but I motion them to lower it. 

"Kwon," I hug him back with difficulty, holding in the pain from his hug. "What are you doing here? I told you not to come."

"I can't...I miss you." He hugs me even tighter. 

"Sorry, Kwon." I free myself from his embrace. "But, you have to go. Please. Promise me not to come back. It's dangerous."

"But, Zhao....Shit! What does he do to you?" He examines me from head to toe. Even in the dark, he could clearly see the blue spots on my arms and face. "Fuck!" He runs his hand on my face. "I'm gonna kill that guy." He attempts to go towards the house but I stop him fast. 

"No." I pull him back, "No, Kwon. Please."

"Come with me," he tries to pull me towards his car but I stand still. 

"I can't." 

"Why? Because of these guards? Are you scared? Is he threatening you?"

"No, Kwon. I have to stay. He needs me. I need him."

That stops him. "I know you need him but what did you just say about him needing you?"

"I think he's sick. I have to help him."

"What? Are you fuckin' crazy, Zhao? Are you on your death wish?" 

"Just go, Kwon. Please." I hug him again. "I missed you, too. But, this is the last time you'll be seeing me. Go home. Go get some rest. Please watch over the restaurant and the resort for me." I bravely peck him on the cheek before nodding at the guard to close the gate and turning around to walk to the house. 

"Jess.....Fuck...." he tries to free away from the men holding him back, "Zhao," he shouts but I ignore him, determined to forget all about him as I go back in the house. 

Before I open the door to the house, I take a deep breath, readying myself to what is to come ... yet again. I know Lei would be waiting inside with clenched fists and fiery eyes. With my head bent, I enter the house of hell. 

____

I wake up for the third time this morning on Lei's bed, finding him staring from the chair beside me. His hands folded on his crossed legs and his elbows on the armrests.