Part 44

Jess

"Jess?" Lei is in my room, waiting for me to get changed for dinner. I called a make up artist earlier to help me hide the yellowish bruise on my cheeks. "Are you done yet?"

I just received a very important inside story earlier while Lei was asleep - both from Amy, the maid and GD's man. How did I get them? David. That's why I kept him. Good thing Lei was too angry about Jin-Ah that he didn't remember about the guard incident. 

Jin-Ah. What has gotten into him? Isn't he, even just a little bit, concerned about his brother? Does he hate him that much? Wouldn't it benefit him more if he helps me with Lei? Is he leaving me alone in this? 

"Jess?" Lei calls out again.

"In a minute," I answer as I let the maid zip up my dress. I chose a long-sleeved, turtle neck dress that goes all the way down to my ankles. I have to hide the bruises on my body. It's a bit chilly tonight anyway. I pair it with flat shoes because I can't walk in heels in my limping condition. Damn! I look at myself one last time in the mirror and am satisfied with my look. My face looks normal - no marks, no swelling - good.

"You ready?" I ask Lei as I step out of the walk-in closet. 

He eyes me from head to toe and smiles. "You look beautiful, Jess." 

I answer his smile with a weak one. "Thanks." 

He holds my waist with both hands and whispers, "I'm sorry...about all these."

"I know, Lei. Just...." I close my eyes and take a deep breath, "Are you ready to take me to your dad?"

He kisses my forehead, "As long as you don't run away."

"I won't." I promise. Not after what I just learned. 

The car is filled with tension as we near his dad's mansion. I know he's worried. I bet his dad is against Lei marrying me now after the embarrassment he got when we cancelled the engagement. I heard that he's been attacking dad's businesses ever since that happened. Well...what else is new. I'm guessing they've already found a replacement for me. I'm also expecting a girl to be waiting in that mansion of theirs. Let's see....

Suddenly, my mind becomes flooded with memories of the time Mark introduced me to his parents. It was the first time I told Mark I really liked him....it was the first time I realized I did. Tears threaten to come out but I fight them back. 

How is he? I recall his face when I left him back at the hotel just yesterday. He looks betrayed, crestfallen...and even heartbroken. Mark, please understand. I love you. More than words can say!

Lei notices my sorrowful silence. He squeezes my hand and takes it to his lips. "Jess, we're gonna fine, right?" I can hear doubt in his question. As if he's doubting himself.

"Yes, we will." I assure him, smiling at his pouting face. "Your parents would be waiting there with another girl, Lei," I tell him. "They would be forcing you to leave me for her." He furrows his brows, I think he knows, too. "What do you do?"

"I don't want anybody but you, Jess." He holds my chin up, "You should know that by now."

"I know. I just want to know what you would do?" I need to know so I can plan my next step.

"I'll fight for us. Nobody can take you away from me." His eyes are serious and determined...Good!

I smile at him and give him a peck on the lips, sealing the promise he just made. 

As expected, his parents aren't too welcoming. Mr. Hu and his wife doesn't even bother to smile when they see me. Unlike when they met me for the first time, during my welcome home party. That time, they were too eager to know more about me with their plastic smiling faces.