Part 21

Jess

I've been pretty much busy with the restaurant with only four days before the opening. Vic and I have talked to people he knows to help us with the ads. Everything seems to be in place and we're right on track. 

The boys have been busy with their new album and promotions all over the world, so Mark and I haven't seen each other the whole week. We talk through Skype or Facetime, sometimes he'd send me text messages. But, I still get flowers every morning when I wake up. 

Yesterday, Vic, Cuifen and I took a day off from the restaurant to move our staff from the old unit to the new one just above. It's as big as the boys'. It has three big rooms, two bathrooms, a beautiful kitchen and a wide living room. We spent the whole day decorating the house. We even bought a dog house for Snow which we placed at the veranda. It's just perfect. 

At night, the three of us had a couple of drinks to celebrate our move - not that big of a move but it's still a move. It was just the three of us because the boys were somewhere in Japan for a fan meeting. 

We wake up a little late this morning, an hour later than usual, and we all head to the restaurant together, leaving a moping Snow alone in the house. My phone starts ringing as soon as we get out of the building. 

"Yes? Hello?" I answer. 

"Ma'am? This is Joe." The manager of the restaurant. 

"Yup. What is it?" 

"Uhm...we have a problem. Our head chef just took off on us."

"What????" How can this happen? I just talked to him the other day and he seemed fine. "Did he say anything? Did you talk to him?"

"I just came in this morning and I saw a letter on my desk." 

"We're on our way there."

I immediately hail a cab and explain to the two what Joe just told me. 

Joe hands me the letter as soon as we enter the restaurant. It says that he had to leave because of some family issues he couldn't give in detail and that he's sorry. That's it. 

"Fuck!" Vic expresses his frustration aloud. "How can we get a new chef with only days before the opening? If ever we get one, how about the menu? We already planned that all out? We can't just change it."

"I know!" I shout. "But, we don't have a choice, do we? Just call up the other chef you interviewed." I tell him. "Cuifen, gather the two cooks we have and explain to them the situation."

"Uhm...Miss," Cuifen is coming out of the kitchen with panic written all over her face.

"What?"

"They're gone, too."

At this point, I want to just explode. I pound the table with my fist. 

Just then my phone rings. 

"Hello," I almost shouted, without looking at who the caller could be. 

"Princess," it's my dad. "Are you ok? You sound angry?"

"Dad!" I immediately calm down and go to a more quiet place in the kitchen. "Sorry. Just a bit tired."

"Is everything ok?"

"Ah...yeah..." I don't have to worry him more with my problems. "Everything's fine, dad. How are you and mom?"

"I actually called to give you good news." He sounds excited.

"Really? What is it?" 

"Somebody just put in a big investment in our company," he says excitedly.