Part 28

Jess

I don't even know what to think anymore. Vic is beside me and trying to comfort me. Since he's seen the commotion, I have to tell him what's happening. He seems really worried and concerned. I know I shouldn't be burdening him like this but he was there....he saw and heard GD and Lei talk. 

"I didn't know having too many guys after you would be such a headache," he manages to joke. 

"It's not funny, Vic," I glare at him. 

"So, what do you do now?"

"I don't know. I guess I need to go back home and talk things with my dad. He'd be disappointed for sure."

"And Mark?"

Mark. Now that I've learned to like him...now that I don't want to leave him....It's already hard for me not seeing him for a few days. What would it be like if I won't see him like...forever? My heart starts to ache and my eyes mirror the sorrow deep inside. 

Vic gets a tissue and wipes away the tears that are streaming down. "You can still stay here, Besie. I'll tell my dad about your situation. I know he can help."

"Vic, your dad has already done so much for me. I feel embarrassed wasting his efforts like this."

"You've done nothing wrong, Jess. It wasn't your fault your ex suddenly went psycho. And it's my dad who recommended GD anyway."

"He didn't know. It was Kwon's own doing. Ugh....Money....It's all about money, isn't it?" 

He hugs me as we both cry. 

Just then, the doctor comes in with nurses trailing behind him. "Miss Zhao." He smiles. "How are you feeling?" 

"I'm fine doc." I answer in my best Korean. "So, when can I go home?"

"Let me take a look at you first. Breathing ok?"

"Yes." Except for the heartache and the chaos in my brain, I'm fine. 

"Great." He does the usual check up. "Ok. You're actually good to go." He smiles again. "Just don't forget to take this medicine, just to clear your lungs. Come back in a week so I could check if everything's clear."

"Thanks, doc." I smile back. "I miss my dog." 

He chuckles. "You be careful now, Ms. Zhao."

After the doctor leaves, Vic goes to the nurse's station to sign some papers while I get changed into some clothes Vic brought for me. 

I'm already resting on my bed in the apartment with Snow beside me. Dinner is already long over and Cuifen and Vic are in their rooms, maybe already sleeping. My mind is still very busy, keeping me awake. I stare at the ceiling, making a recap of what I've just learned. There are no more tears since my eyes are already incapable of producing liquid...they're just dried up now. 

I jolt on my bed when Vic knocks on the door, his hoarse voice calling my name. "Jess, phone." 

I stand up and let him come in. "Who is it?" 

"Mark." He gives me the phone and heads back to his room. 

"Babe?"

"Hey, Babe. Are you ok?" His voice sounds worried.

"I'm fine. I'm already in the apartment. You?"

"Still not sleeping? We're on our way there. We just got out of the airport."

"You didn't really have to, Mark. I'm sorry for worrying you."

"Hey. Baby, you don't have to be sorry about anything. Are you hurt anywhere?"